Plum Book Q&A
What positions are included in the Plum Book?
Positions in the Plum Book include the following:
- Executive Schedule and salary-equivalent positions paid at the rates established for Levels I through V of the Executive Schedule.
- Senior Executive Service "General" positions (i.e., those positions which may be filled by a career, noncareer, or limited appointment) *
- Senior Foreign Service positions *
- Schedule C positions excepted from the competitive service by the President, or by the Director, Office of Personnel Management, because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties
- Other confidential or policy-determining positions at the GS-14 and above level excepted from the competitive civil service by law because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties
* The majority of Senior Executive Service and Senior Foreign Service positions are filled by career appointment because of the statutory limitations on the number that may be filled by noncareer appointment.
What positions are excluded from the Plum Book?
- Senior Executive Service (SES) "Career Reserved" positions (those positions that can be filled only by career appointment)
- Schedule A and Schedule B positions
- Competitive Service positions
- Other positions filled competitively under agency merit systems established by statute (i.e., GS grade equivalent (GG) positions in certain agencies)
The Department of Justice's Plum Book Coordinator is Matthew B. Kennedy, Human Resources Specialist, Justice Management Division, Human Resources (202-353-8296)