EXHIBIT III-1: THE ROLES OF APPLICATIONS AND MIDDLEWARE IN COMPUTER
This diagram shows the interrelationships between consumers, applications,
operating systems, middleware, OEMs, and ISVs. The relationships are:
- Consumers use applications.
- Applications perform tasks by "calling" applications programming
- APIs are exposed by the operating system.
- The operating system controls and allocates the resources of the
computer provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM).
- Computer manufacturers preinstall applications.
- Middleware inserts itself between the operating system and the applications.
- Independent software vendors (ISVs) develop middleware applications.
- ISVs provide middleware applications to computer manufacturers (OEMs).
Return to document