One of the Division's primary responsibilities is to enforce federal civil and criminal environmental laws such as the:
- Clean Air Act to reduce air pollution;
- Clean Water Act to reduce water pollution and protect wetlands;
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act to ensure that hazardous wastes are properly stored, transported, and disposed;
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (or "Superfund"), which requires those who are responsible for hazardous waste sites to pay for their clean up ; and the
- Drinking Water Act and the Lead Hazard Reduction Act, which directly protect the health of Americans.
The main federal agencies that the Division represents in this area are the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the United States Army Corps of Engineers. The Division’s Sections that carry out this work are the: