Historical Time Line of Key Organization Events
Historical Time Line of Key Organization Events
Start DateTitle
1909 Creation of "Public" Lands Division
Attorney General Wickersham established "The Public Lands Division" by order dated November 16, 1909 in response to the need to "properly attend to the enormous and increasing volume of business relating to the public lands of the United States, and of Indian affairs. The new Division was assigned responsibility for "[a]ll suits and proceedings concerning the enforcement of the Public Land law, including suits or proceedings to set aside conveyances of allotted lands." Ernest Knaebel, Special Assistant to the Attorney General, was designated to lead the Division, and the Attorney General's Order transferred five additional attorneys and three stenographers to the Division. At this time, the Division is housed at 1435 K. Street NW.
1909 Scope of Litigation Assigned to "Public" Lands Division
Attorney General George W. Wickersham in DOJ Circular 122 on December 14, 1909 clarifies scope of litigation assigned to Public Lands Division.
1910 Addition of "Indian Matters"
Indian matters were added in 1910 by Memorandum to the Chief Clerk from Attorney General Wickersham, on January 14, 1910.
1910 Attorney General Proposes Promotion of Division Supervisor to "AAG"
By 1910, the Attorney General noted in his report to Congress that "the extent, variety, and importance of the work assigned to this Division are so great that the attorney in charge should have the rank of Assistant Attorney General, and I recommend the creation of that office."
1911 First AAG of Public Lands Division
Ernest Knaebel was officially nominated to be Assistant Attorney General (AAG) by President Taft on April 28, 1911 and was confirmed on May 9, 1911.
1913 Board and Lodging $5 a Day
Attorney General J. C. McReynolds in Circular No. 71 on May 1, 1913 advises Officers and Employees of the Department of Justice, and Others Concerned that "... following provisions of an Act making appropriations for the current and contingent expenses of the Indian Department, ... approved March 3, 1873... board and lodging will be reimbursed at a rate not greater than $5 a day... expenses for laundering where the travel continued for a week or more, at a rate not greater than $6 a month, for which receipts must be furnished ... fees to Pullman porters are not to exceed 25 cents a night for sleeper and 15 cents a tip for chair car or Pullman seat. Fees to bell boys will not be allowed..."
1913 DOJ Discontinues Use of Roller Towels
Attorney General J. C. McReynolds in Circular No. 422 on November 10, 1913 "Advises Clerks of U.S. District Courts that by recent Executive Order the President directed that the use of roller towels and other towels intended for use by more than one person be discontinued in the public buildings of the United States".
1921 Addition of Acquisition" of Land" Functions
Matters pertaining to the Acquisition of Land, including all examinations of titles, were added by Attorney General Daugherty in 1921, (General Order NO. 1200, July 20, 1921.)
1927 Removal of "Condemnation of Land and Land Titles" Functions
Attorney General Sargent transferred to the Admiralty Division all matters relating to the condemnation of lands and titles to lands by Order No. 1823, May 19th, 1927.
1930 Restoration of "Condemnation of Land and Land Titles" Functions
In 1930 Attorney General Mitchell provided for restoration of these functions -- all matters relating to the condemnation of lands and titles to lands -- to the Lands Division . Order No. 2085, February 1, 1930.
1930 Addition of "Title Division"
Assistant Attorney General Seth W. Richardson (1929-1933) advises that "with respect to the so-called Title Division which was incorporated in my Division on February 1st, I desire to make the following report: (1) So far as the Title Division proper is concerned, I had a tabulation made of all of the matters and all accounts pending in the Department. The same aggregate 442 in 1lumber on February 1st. I have arranged for a monthly re-check of this list to show what items have been closed, what progress has been made in other items and what items have not been changed. This process will be repeated on the first of each month for the purpose of establishing a complete check of the business of the Division. I find there are enough attorneys in the Division to take care of the work and no additional help will be necessary. There are one or two men in the Division who are doing more than their share of work, and one or two who are doing less. In due time I should like to have that situation reflected into the respective increase and decrease of salary... ".
1930 Attorney Working Hours
Assistant Attorney General Seth W. Richardson (1929-1933) advises all attorneys on May 20, 1930 that "I have experienced considerable trouble at times in getting contact with various attorneys .... Owing to inability to locate such attorneys at the particular moment. Each attorney is required to be in his particular office from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., excepting the necessary luncheon period. It is requested that each attorney, in event of absence....shall advise Miss Murphy of the contemplated duration of such absence, with such information where the attorney may be located."
1931 Construction Begins on DOJ Main Building
The Main Department of Justice building was designed by the Philadelphia architectural firm Zantzinger, Borie and Medary, and was constructed between 1931 and 1935.
1932 First Field Staff
An August 1953 Division Memo on "Organization and Personnel of the Lands Division" indicates that "The Field Staff was employed beginning about 1932, at the start of the "New Deal" program for duties in connection with the Resettlement Program, the acquisition of lands under the "Weeks Forestry Act", etc.
1933 "Public" Lands Division becomes "Lands" Division
In 1933, Attorney General Homer Cummings undertook a complete reassessment of the Division's functions and changed its name from the Public Lands Division to the Lands Division. See Departmental Order No. 2507; December 20, 1933, and various supplements thereto.
1934 Move to Main Justice
Lands Division moves into Main Justice
1935 Lights Out
All employees are reminded of the necessity for more economy, as to turning lights off at night, keepings windows closed, etc.
1936 Addition of "Resettlement and Housing " Matters
Attorney General Cummings added Resettlement and Housing matters in the mission. (See Supp. Order of January 20, 1936.)
1937 Evolving Lands Division Structure
Six separate sections were established in 1937, under the leadership of Assistant Attorney General Carl McFarland: Trial Section (dealt with all court cases except those relating to condemnation, mainly with public lands and Native American matters); Condemnation Section (served the constantly expanding federal lands acquisition program); Title Section (examined title validity for lands purchased by the Government, aside from condemnations); Legislation and General Section (analyzed laws and potential legislation having potential impact on the Division's activity); Appellate Section (handled all matters in the intermediate courts of appeals, and assisted the Solicitor General with cases in the Supreme Court); and Administrative Section (supported the Division, and handled budget, personnel, physical facilities, supplies, and supervision of the stenographic pool)
1937 Large Increase in Mail and Personnel
In 1933, the personnel of the Lands Division (then known as Public Lands Division) included 57 persons; whereas by reason of additional duties and increased work, the personnel of the Lands Division, on July 1, 1937, included 450 employees. The increase in the volume of work resulting from the new land policy approved by Congress increased the mail received by the Division a total of eight times as great as the mail received in 1933. (Annual Report of Assistant Attorney General McFarland for 1937, page 108.)
1938 "Researching" Land Titles
The functions of the Research Unit in the Title Section shall include the investigation of all applicable questions of law, substantive and procedural, arising in the Title Section, except condemnation questions.
1939 Seven fold increase in Division Staffing
The Division jumped in size from 57 employees in 1933 to 500 employees in 1939, 225 of whom were stationed in field offices in nearly every state in the country.
1939 Field Clericals Brought into Competitive Service
Lands Division Assistant Attorney General Norman M. Littel in Circular No. 3249 on June 14, 1939 advises "... all field and United States Attorneys for whom the Lands Division of the Department of Justice has appointed clerical employees in connection with work assigned by the Lands Division, that effective July 1, 1939... all clerical positions in the field will be brought into the competitive classified service".
1941 First Lands Division Bulletin
Lands Division Assistant Attorney General Norman M. Littel in Circular No. 3534 on July 31, 1941 advises United States Attorney and Field Attorneys of the Lands Division engaged in the acquisition of Land that ".. Due to innumerable problems arising in the field, bulletins will be sent out on subjects of common interest ...".
1942 Biggest "Real Estate" Office During the War
In the years following the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the Lands Division became "the biggest real estate office of any time or any place," overseeing the acquisition of more than 20 million acres of land, an area approximately the size of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, and most of New Jersey. The land was used for airports, naval stations, fleet bases, bombing fields, proving grounds, and a number of other national defense installations. A total of 18,160 cases emanated from federal condemnations in this period, resulting in payment of about $520 million. More than 3,000 cases remained pending in early 1948. During World War II, the Lands Division was the largest division of the Department of Justice, and second in size only to the Federal Bureau of Investigation among Department components. At that point the Division employed more than 500 lawyers and operated offices in every state of the union. Between 1939 and 1944, the Division's annual budget increased from slightly more than $1 million to more than $4 million.
1946 Impact of War on Department Administration
An unsigned Department proposal dated January 10, 1946 advises that "the wrenching impacts of total war have hit departmental administration in the Federal Government as solidly as they have hit industrial management... The attached draft to an administrative order proposes that the Assistant to the Attorney General shall become the Attorney General's administrative alter ego."
1946 Land Acquisition Created from Title and Condemnation Sections
In the years immediately following World War II, the Division's land acquisition activities decreased significantly. On November 29, 1946, Assistant Attorney General David Bazelon (1946 to 1947) consolidated the Title and Condemnation Sections into one, designated as the Land Acquisition Section.
1950 Duties of Lands Division
The 1950 U.S. Government Organized Manual lists the duties of the Lands Division.
1953 First of Major Divisions of the Department
Comments from Judge D.D. Caldwell (for nearly 60 years an attorney in the Department, and for a large part of that time associated with the "Lands" Litigation. Caldwell gave the following interesting and informative statement on the establishment of the Lands Division (Public Lands Division) as the" first of the major Divisions of the Department"...
1953 Organization and Personnel
An August 1953 Division Memo on "Organization and Personnel of the Lands Division" indicates that the Division is divided into six Sections, i.e. Trial, Appellate, Appraisal, Legislation and General, Land Acquisition and Administrative ... The staff of the Lands Division at Washington expanded from 43 persons in early 1934 to 210 employees in 1945. The division now has a staff of 211, exclusive of employees in the field."
1953 Stenographers Paired with Attorneys
An August 1953 Division Memo on "Organization and Personnel of the Lands Division" indicates that "the Division started the practice of employing attorneys and stenographers in the field to assist U.S. Attorneys. The field staff was increased until it reached seven hundred and fifty in 1945. There are now about two hundred and twelve attorneys and stenographers in the field. "
1953 Addition of "Indians Claims" Section
In 1953, in response to the increasing number of cases, the Division created an Indian Claims Section to represent the government in cases brought before the Indian Claims Commission (ICC). An important and complex aspect of the Section's work was estimating land values and resolving conflicts between the estimates of its experts and those of the plaintiffs, often dealing with claims dating from agreements or events of the previous century
1953 Closing of Field Offices
By 1953, the Division consisted of the Assistant Attorney General, one Assistant, and six sections: the Trial Section, the Appellate Section, the Legislation and General Section, the Appraisal Section, the Land Acquisition Section, and the Administrative Section. That year, under AAG Perry W. Morton (1953 to 1961), the Lands Division underwent several organizational changes. The Division also closed all of its field offices as part of the Department of Justice's policy to consolidate local and regional cases in the offices of the U.S. Attorneys. Beginning with that realignment, Division land attorneys were assigned to the U.S. Attorneys' Offices to work on condemnation cases.
1953 Water Resources Section Added to Lands Division
By 1953, the Division consisted of the Assistant Attorney General, one Assistant, and six sections: the Trial Section, the Appellate Section, the Legislation and General Section, the Appraisal Section, the Land Acquisition Section, and the Administrative Section. That year, under AAG Perry W. Morton (1953 to 1961), the Lands Division underwent several organizational changes. The Water Resources Section was established to represent the government in water rights related litigation and provide expertise on interstate water issues and federal water related legislation.
1955 Decrease in Division Staffing
Due to this restructuring, between 1953 and 1955, the Division's personnel decreased by more than 50 percent, from 444 to 209, including attorneys and clerical personnel in Washington and a small number of personnel in the field. (In 1957, only three attorneys were listed in the latter category.) The number of attorneys continued to decrease over the subsequent years, and in 1960, the Washington office reported 101 attorneys and 111 clerical staff, with seven attorneys and four staff people in the field.
1959 Ongoing Physical Consolidation of Legal Units
A Unit of the Lands Division was moved from leased space on Massachusetts Avenue to Indiana Avenue.
1960 Water and Trial Become General Litigation Section
In 1960 the Water Resources and Trial Sections were combined into the General Litigation Section, which retained distinct Water Resources and General Trial units.
1960 Division Located at Three Buildings
Division staff spread among three buildings: MAIN, US Courthouse (Land Acquisition) Star Building (Land Acquisition). Land Acquisition later moves to Federal Triangle.
1961 Seeking Grad Students for Historical Research
Assistant Attorney General Ramsey Clark "writes in May 1961 to the Chair of Georgetown University's Department of History seeking referrals of several graduate students in American history to expedite the work for the Indian Claims Commission. These persons "should be particularly interested in the history of the American Indian, and primarily areas North of the Ohio and west of the Mississippi and ... would be employed at starting salaries of $6000 per year."
1963 Fine tuning Organization
In 1963, Assistant Attorney General Ramsey Clark (1961 to 1965) eliminated the Legislation and General Section, distributing its functions and personnel between the General Litigation and Administrative Sections.
1963 Lands Davison Journal Published
The Division began publication of the Lands Division Journal which included articles on the substantive areas of law handled by the Division. Most years, the Journal was published monthly.
1965 The "Land and Natural Resources Division"
Attorney General Nicholas B. Katzenbach changes name of "Lands Division" in October 8, 1965 Order to the "Land and Natural Resources Division." At the time, the Division employed 100 attorneys.
1966 Litigating 5000 statutes
Assistant Attorney General Edwin L. Weisl, Jr. (1965 to 1967) advises the Department of Justice's Director of Public Information that " in regard to your inquiry of September 21, 1965 this Division is concerned with the interpretation and application in litigation of statutes which have been estimated to number in excess of five thousand. Unfortunately these are not gathered in one place but are generally scattered through the titles of the United States Code. Still others must be sought in the many volumes of the Statutes at Large. A body created for the purpose of the Public Land Law Review Commission, is presently engaged in a three year, several million dollar study of a part of these statutes, and identification and collection of the statutes."
1968 Administration Changes
Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Clyde O. Martz (1967 to 1969) on January 11, 1969 lists a number of proposed changes in administration. Suggested protocols include topics such as settlement of cases; internal sign off of pleadings and correspondence; assignment of co counsel for training younger attorneys; training and assimilation program for new attorneys; and weekly staff conferences with the AAG and Division sections.
1968 Personnel Needs
In our memoranda of January 19, 1968, Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Clyde O. Martz (1967 to 1969) "discussing the personnel requirements of this Division, and outlining certain recruitment objectives, we evaluated our current personnel in terms of the following problems: 1) Limited trial experience; 2. A substantial part of the trial competence of the division is vested in men who are at , or near retirement age.; 3) ... insufficient manpower for trainer and trainee assignments; 4) ... the docket condition of the Division is deteriorating in recent years in general litigation and major tract condemnations. The explanation for this condition differs for each of the judicial districts in which a problem exists. In several districts the problem may be attributed to the absence of condemnation attorneys with sufficient interest and competence to handle the major tract program and the absence of adequate support personnel in adjoining districts or on the Washington staff to meet local requirements."
1968 Reorganization of Division
Directive No. 1-68 dated March 8, 1968, Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Clyde O. Martz (1967 to 1969) the effectuates an approved reorganization.
1968 Adoption of Attorney Promotion Plan
Assistant Attorney General Clyde O. Martz (1967 to 1969) on June 19, 1968 "In order to establish a uniform policy for attorney promotions throughout the Division and to effect better administrative coordination", adopts an Attorney Promotion Plan.
1968 Grades of Section Chief and Expert Attorney Positions
Assistant Attorney General Clyde O. Martz (1967 to 1969) on October 10, 1968 recommends the positions of Section Chiefs and Expert Attorney for reclassification to Grades 1 to 17 and GS 16, respectively.
1968 General Litigation and Land Acquisition Organized into Trial Teams
Assistant Attorney General Clyde O. Martz (1967 to 1969) in a memorandum dated October 10, 1968 indicates that " ... earlier this year organizational changes were instituted in the General Litigation and Land Acquisition Sections, designed to primarily increase the responsibilities of trial attorneys and to more effectively utilize their professional skills. These attorneys regularly act as chief counsel in the trial of major condemnation eases where the potential liability of the United States is hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of dollars. Similarly, senior attorneys on the General Litigation trial teams personally try cases of nation-wide importance, which may have a material effect upon the administration of the country's resources, or which may involve title to resources valued at many millions, and in a couple of cases, even billions of dollars."
1968 Staffing and Training in FY 1968
Report of Assistant Attorney General Clyde O. Martz (1967-69) in charge of the Land and Natural Resources Division: 1. Staffing. At the beginning of fiscal 1968, 94 attorneys were employed in the Division, as compared with 97 at the close of the fiscal year. During the fiscal year 17 attorneys were employed, and 14 left the Division because of death, retirement or resignation. On June 30, 1968, the Division had a total employment of 204 persons composed of 97 attorneys, 5 law clerks, 97 secretarial and clerical employees and 5 young people employed under the President's Job Opportunity Program. 2. Training. During the year, new programs to improve the quality of legal work were initiated and existing programs were continued. (a) Seminars and Trial Tactics - Starting in February 1968 an intra-division litigation training program was established. The first phase of the program consisted of weekly one hour lectures by a litigation expert in the Division and was attended by lawyers of all sections of the Division. After conclusion of the lecture series in May, there have been weekly seminar-type discussions on trial techniques. (b) Land and Natural Resources Division Journal -The Division Journl initiated in 1963, has proved to be an effective instrument for continuing education, both in the Division and for major federal agency clients. The Journal was published monthly throughout fiscal 1968. (c) Secretarial and Stenographic - In order to improve the secretarial skills of its employees, the Division sent six secretaries to the Departmental training course, and two to shorthand review courses. (d) General - The Division sent twelve employees to reading improvement courses, one attorney to an Executive Seminar on Automatic Data 'Processing, conducted by IBM, and an attorney to a Management Seminar for Attorney-Executives.
1969 Tasks of Administrative Section
A memorandum dated April 24, 1969 from Henry D. Rogers (Chief of the Administrative Section) indicates the existence of a separate Administrative Section while providing statistics concerning Land and Natural Resources Division on Personnel, Funds and Workload. The Administrative Section is responsible for all matters pertaining to Land and Natural Resources Division administration involving personnel, budget, accounting, vouchers, expenditures of funds, physical facilities, supplies, equipment, statistics and all other administrative matters. At this time, the Division has about 100 attorneys. The memorandum indicates that " All attorneys, including Assistant Attorneys General, are required to executive daily Time Summary Sheets and then turn them in the following morning".
1969 Division Attorneys Located in U.S. Attorney Offices
In May 1969, AAG Shiro Kashiwa (1969-1972) advises that the Lands and Natural Resources Division, does not have any field offices. However, the Division has three attorneys located in United States Attorney Offices to assist these offices in the trial of condemnation cases. They are assisted by four clerical personnel. These attorneys are all employed in Grades GS-15 in Brooklyn, New York; Denver, Colorado and Sacramento California.
1969 Time Reporting in DOJ
In DOJ Memorandum 647, on October 7, 1969, Assistant Attorney General for Administration L.M. Pellerzi provides the game plan for time reporting in DOJ by all components in order to develop a comprehensive automated workload measurement system.
1969 Public Praise for Land and Natural Resources Division
Newly appointed Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Shiro Kashiwa (1969-1972) advises in an internal memorandum on December 8, 1969 "that in 1970, the Land and Natural Resources Division may be one of the most active Divisions in the Department of Justice. Even in the applications of honor students for positions in Justice, a greater percentage now prefer a position in Lands and Natural Resources instead of other divisions .... ." He then discusses the need to explore with the Attorney General our activities in the area of environmental improvement.
1969 Addition of Marine Resources Section
The Marine Resources Section was created by Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Kashiwa in 1969 "in recognition of the growing importance of the Outer Continental Shelf." The Section was involved in original suits in the Supreme Court to fix Federal-State offshore boundaries.
1970 Need for Timely Submission of Work to Support Staff and the AAG
Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Shiro Kashiwa (1969-1972) advises Section Chiefs on May 28, 1970 that "Effective June 1, 1970, there will be no secretarial service in the office after 5:30 P.M. This will require that all matters that need to be processed and mailed before the close of business will have to be in this office no later than 5:00 P.M. It is expected that matters requiring review and approval be submitted sufficiently in advance of any court or other deadline to permit adequate time for examination by Mr. Kiechel and myself. The use of "Important and Urgent" and "Special" stickers should be restricted to documents requiring immediate action, and such usage should be the exceptional circumstance."
1970 Pollution Control Section Created
On October 1, 1970, Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Kashiwa created a new Pollution Control Section and assigned it responsibility for both civil and criminal enforcement actions by the United States to abate air, water, and other types of pollution. The Section also handled defensive litigation for agency rulemakings. Attorneys from the General Litigation Section and the Department's Criminal Division were transferred to staff the new section. In the 1970s, the Division's Pollution Control Section was responsible for both civil and criminal enforcement of the environmental laws. The early environmental laws, however, contained only misdemeanor criminal provisions, and thus were infrequently used by Department of Justice prosecutors.
1970 "Litigating " Attorneys Deserve Higher Grades
Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Shiro Kashiwa (1969-1972) advises the Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Council on November 20, 1970 that "... it is not reasonable to justify the same grade for an attorney in the referring agency writing a litigation report and a Justice Department attorney preparing the same case for trial and trying it. These standards should be changed so that the trial attorney is given at least one additional grade."
1971 Criminal Responsibilities Expanded
Attorney General John N. Mitchell officially assigned responsibility for both civil and criminal enforcement of the environmental laws to the Division in 1971.
1979 Land Acquisition and Indian Resources Move
Land Acquisition Section moves to 633 Indiana Avenue; Indian Resources moves into Main.
1979 Deputy Assistant Attorneys General Increase
By 1979, under Assistant Attorney General James Moorman (1977-81), the Land and Natural Resources Division added two deputy assistant attorneys general and divided supervisory responsibility for the Division's sections among the three deputies.
1979 Addition of Wildlife Section
By 1979, under Assistant Attorney General James Moorman (1977-81), the Land and Natural Resources Division added the Wildlife Section and assigned civil and criminal jurisdiction over wildlife laws, particularly those dealing with the illegal trade in wildlife and plants. The Wildlife Section was created to "seek stiff penalties for persons who engage in illegal wildlife or plant trade including jail sentences for principal violators." The Section was intended to create wildlife law enforcement specialists, and initially had eight attorneys, handling criminal and civil litigation, including the illegal importation of wildlife.
1979 Addition of Policy, Legislation, and Special Litigation Section
By 1979, under Assistant Attorney General James Moorman (1977-81), the Land and Natural Resources Division added the new Policy, Legislation, and Special Litigation Section and consolidated policy formation functions with the functions of a previous legislative assistant. The new Section was responsible for developing litigation strategies for unique legal problems presented by a client agency, in cooperation with other sections of the Division.
1979 Addition of Hazardous Waste Section
By 1979, under Assistant Attorney General James Moorman (1977-81), the Land and Natural Resources Division added the Hazardous Waste Section "to develop an aggressive and effective litigation program to deal with hazardous waste disposal problems." An additional mandate of the new section, which had 13 attorneys, was to defend challenges to hazardous waste regulations under the 1976 Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
1980 Division Moves
In the 1980s, Land Acquisition moves to the International Safeway Building; Wildlife is in the Todd Building; and the Administrative and Defense Sections are in the Ariel Rios Building. Crimes moves into Main in 1982 and then to Ariel Rios in 1984.
1980 Creation of Environmental Enforcement Section
The Division decided to separate offensive and defensive litigation responsibility in this area, which led to the division of the Pollution Control Section into the Environmental Enforcement Section and Pollution Control Section, respectively. In 1980, AAG Moorman created a new Environmental Enforcement Section. At its inception, EES had 15 attorneys and 15 support staff. The section's main clients were the Corps of Engineers and EPA. The Section also was to bring natural resource damage actions on behalf of federal agencies such as the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Defense, Energy, and the Interior, claims against private parties for contamination of public lands, and suits seeking compensation on behalf of the Coast Guard for cleanup of oil spills.
1980 Organization Structure of Lands Division
At the end of 1980, the Division was comprised of twelve litigating sections: the Pollution Control; Environmental Enforcement; Hazardous Waste; Wildlife; Appellate; Marine Resources; General Litigation; Energy Conservation; Indian Resources; Land Acquisition; Indian Claims; and Policy, Legislation, and Special Litigation. Two non-litigating sections aided the work of the Division --- Appraisal Section (provided assistance in land acquisition matters)and the Administrative Section (handled internal management, fiscal matters, and litigation support services. The Division had field offices in Anchorage, Alaska; Denver, Colorado; Miami, Florida; New York, New York; and Portland, Oregon. At the end of fiscal year 1980, the Division had 339 employees: 196 lawyers and 143 support staff.
1981 Energy Section disbanded; Wildlife combined with Marine Resources
In 1981 the Office of Management and Budget of the new Reagan Administration froze all positions in the executive branch, eliminating the funding for 50 positions obtained by AAG Moorman to support the sections created in 1979 and 1980. Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Carol Dinkins (1981-83) again reorganized the Division, eliminating the short-lived Energy Section and transferring its functions to the General Litigation Section. The Marine Resources Section was combined with the Wildlife Section. All of the submerged lands, coastal zone and outer continental shelf oil and gas leasing work was assigned to the General Litigation Section, and all of the fisheries and wildlife work was assigned to the Wildlife Section, now renamed the Wildlife and Marine Resources Section. In 1981, as part of the reorganization undertaken by AAG Carol Dinkins, the Marine Resources Section merged into the new Wildlife and Marine Resources Section and continued to prosecute wildlife offenses, but also took on the marine mammal and fisheries work of the former Marine Resources Section, as well as defensive cases under the wildlife and fisheries statutes.
1980 Energy Conservation Section Created
Also in 1980, Assistant Attorney General (AAG) Moorman created an Energy Conservation Section to coordinate and consolidate the Division's increasing and diversified energy-related caseload. The section was responsible for conducting litigation based on the several statutes under the umbrella National Energy Act of 1978, including challenges to the constitutionality of those statutes.
1985 Consolidation in Main
Wildlife moves to Main; in 1987, the defense Section moves from Ariel Rios to the 6th floor of MAIN.
1986 Indian Claims Section Merged into General Litigation
In 1986, the Division's Indian Claims Section was merged into the General Litigation Section.
1987 Environmental Crimes Becomes a Section
The work of the Environmental Crimes Unit increased throughout the 1980s, and in response in 1987, the Division created a separate Environmental Crimes Section to prosecute criminal violations of federal environmental statutes and coordinate the work of U.S. Attorney's offices in this area.
1988 Overcrowding in Main
Wildlife, Crimes and the Executive Office move to 601 Pennsylvania Ave. Building.
1989 Denver Field Office
Denver Field Office staff in Customs House.
1990 New Space for Enforcement
The Environmental Enforcement Section moves from MAIN to 1425 New York Avenue.
1990 Name Change Results in ENRD
On April 24,1990, Attorney General Richard Thornburgh changed the Division's name to the Environment and Natural Resources Division, reflecting the growing workload of environmental cases. AAG Stewart also emphasized international environmental actions and added these responsibilities to the Policy, Legislation, and Special Litigation Section.
1991 New Space for Denver Field Office
Denver Field Office moves from the Customs House to the 9th Floor of Denver Place Building.
1994 ENRD joins Interagency Working Group on Environmental Justice
ENRD joins Interagency Working Group on Environmental Justice
1995 New Space for Growth in Enforcement
The growing Enforcement Section moves from MAIN to 1425 New York Avenue.
Jan 05 1995 ENRD drafts DOJ Guidance concerning Environmental Justice
ENRD drafts DOJ Guidance concerning Environmental Justice
1997 Section Consolidation Begins in Patrick Henry Building
Appellate, Law and Policy and Environmental Defense Sections move from MAIN to 8th floor Patrick Henry Building.
1998 Records Function in Patrick Henry
Executive Office records staff moves from MAIN to basement of Patrick Henry Building.
1999 Exec Office Moves to Patrick Henry Building
In May, Executive Office staff moves from 801 Pennsylvania Avenue to the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Patrick Henry Building.
2001 Consolidation Continues in Patrick Henry Building
"In June 2001, five other litigating sections (General Litigation, Indian Resources, Wildlife, Crimes, and Land Acquisition) move from 601 Pennsylvania Ave to Patrick Henry Building. "
Jan 05 2001 Discovery Document Hosting on Extranet
Discovery Document Hosting on Extranet
Jan 05 2003 Creation of Inter-Agency Environmental Justice Work Group
Creation of Inter-Agency Environmental Justice Work Group
2004 Division's Appeals and Law and Policy Sections back in Main
Appellate and Law and Policy Sections move from Patrick Henry Building back to MAIN along with similar groups from other DOJ Litigating Divisions.
2005 Litigating Sections Consolidated in Patrick Henry Building
In September 2005, movement of Environmental Enforcement Section from 1425 New York Avenue into Patrick Henry Building completes consolidation of ENRD into two buildings.
2005 Reorganization
The General Litigation Section was renamed the Natural Resources Section. The Policy, Legislation, and Special Litigation Section was renamed the Law and Policy Section (LPS) in 2005 and placed under direct supervision of the Assistant Attorney General (AAG). LPS provides counsel to the AAG, handles policy and cross-cutting issues, and coordinates the Division's legislative and international work.
2005 Centralization of Criminal Litigation
Criminal prosecutors in the Wildlife and Marine Resources Section were also transferred to the Environmental Crimes Section thus placing all of the Division's criminal prosecutors into a single section.
2006 Denver Office Relocates
Denver field office moved from Denver Place Building to Byron Rogers Federal Building in May 2006
2009 ENRD Celebrates 100th Anniversary
The Environment and Natural Resources Division celebrates the one hundredth anniversary of its creation. Originally named the “Public Lands Division,”the Division was created on November 16, 1909.
2009 Start of Bicycle-Transit Subsidy Program
On September 2nd, 2009, Acting AAG John Cruden announced ENRD’s new pilot program which provides a subsidy to employees who bike to work. For each month employees choose to participate in the program, they are eligible to receive up to $20 per month of pre-tax income toward bicycle purchase, improvement, and repair and storage.
2009 First Greening the Government (GtG) Committee
ENRD undertakes a GtG initiative in response to Executive Order 13423 (Jan. 24, 2007), which requires all federal agencies to meet benchmarks for reductions in energy usage, water consumption, paper usage, solid waste generation, and other areas. For example, government agencies are asked to reduce energy consumption by 30% by 2015. Congress mandated compliance with this Executive Order in recent appropriations legislation. Omnibus Appropriations Act, Pub. L. 111-8, § 748 (2009).
2010 4th Deputy Assistant Attorney General (DAAG) position created
ENRD’s Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General and each DAAG each oversee two sections.
2010 First Telework Agreements
Telework is an alternative work arrangement for employees that allows them to conduct some or all of their work at an alternative worksite away from the employer's typically used office. Telework locations can include the employee's residence, a telework center, or a traditional office or satellite office located closer to the employee's residence. In ENRD, telework schedules are subject to management approval and they are governed by Directive No. 2010-03 (“Workplace Flexibility”).
2010 Permanent Environmental Justice Workgroup (EJ) formed
A permanent Environmental Justice Workgroup (EJ) was formed.
2010 ENRD conducts DOJ first employee survey on rights of LGBT employees
The survey, which was entirely anonymous and voluntary, asked ENRD workers whether they considered themselves lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. The survey allowed LGBT employees in ENRD to be more visible and helped managers gauge LGBT employee satisfaction, and opportunities to improve work environments.
2010 Workplace Flexibility Directive
This Directive set forth ENRD policy and procedures for telecommuting by ENRD attorneys.
2011 Career DAAG selected to lead Division’s EJ portfolio
Career DAAG selected to lead Division’s Environmental Justice portfolio.
2011 Executive Order 12898 and MOU on Environmental Justice with 16 Federal agencies
The Executive Order states that all communities overburdened by pollution - particularly minority, low income and tribal communities - deserve the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards, equal access to the Federal decision-making process, and a healthy environment in which to live, learn, and work. This Memorandum of Understanding contains an agreement by Federal agencies to develop environmental justice strategies to protect the health of people living in communities overburdened by pollution and provide the public with annual progress reports on their efforts.
2011 Establishment of "Senior Counsel and Senior Attorney" positions
Establishment of "Senior Counsel and Senior Attorney" positions.
2011 First ENRD Diversity Management Plan
This plan will foster effective diversity management across the Division, sustain progress over time, and ensure accountability for results. Through respect, understanding, and open communication between and among the rich tapestry of our employees, we will enhance critical aspects of our management practices, including policy development, decision making, and problem solving.
2011 Appointment of first Attorney Skills Development Coordinator
Appointment of first Attorney Skills Development Coordinator.
2011 First ENRD Bulletin Boards (aka Forums) established
First ENRD Bulletin Boards (aka Forums) established.
2011 ENRD $ave Committee created; recommends several million $ in cost savings
ENRD $ave Committee created; recommends several million $ in cost savings.
2012 Senior Level EJ coordinator position established
Senior Level EJ coordinator position established.
2012 Creation of Environmental Justice Coordinator position
Creation of Environmental Justice Coordinator position.
2012 Creation of Division Diversity Committee
Creation of Division Diversity Committee.
2013 10th annual Earth Day service celebration at Marvin Gaye Park
10th annual Earth Day service celebration at Marvin Gaye Park.
2013 ENRD Co-Chairs Presidential Task Force and National Strategy on Combatting Wildlife Trafficking
The Task Force on Wildlife Trafficking was established by Executive Order 13648, signed by President Obama on July 1, 2013. The Executive Order calls for a national strategy that will marshal the efforts of the U.S. Government to meet this challenge at home and to assist foreign governments combating wildlife trafficking and related transnational organized crime.
2013 $AVE Committee identifies $1.4 million in cost-saving measures
$AVE Committee identifies $1.4 million in cost-saving measures.
2014 Creation of Senior Litigator E-Discovery position
Creation of Senior Litigator E-Discovery position.