Salt Lake City Immigration Court

Salt Lake City, Utah

Welcome to the Salt Lake City Immigration Court!

The Salt Lake City Immigration Court falls under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge which is a component of the Executive Office for Immigration Review under the Department of Justice.

Our court has made a commitment to provide access to information through the Internet in order to service the needs of the public.

Our goal is to provide the most current and accurate information available to those needing to appear before an Immigration Judge and to provide this information in a user-friendly fashion.

Please note: The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) are separate organizations.

About the Court

Mission Statement - United States Immigration Court

" To conduct Immigration Hearings in order to fairly
   and expeditiously determine those individuals who
are entitled to be present in the United States
   while ensuring the dignity of all participants."

Salt Lake City Immigration Court Address:

Executive Office for Immigration Review
Immigration Court
2975 South Decker Lake Drive, Suite 200
West Valley City, UT 84119-6094

Salt Lake City Immigration Court Telephone:


Public parking is available.

Visitors must pass through security screening. Prohibited items (such as small pocket knives) are confiscated and not returned.

Court Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Window Hours:  8:00 a.m - 12:00 p.m.; 12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Documents will not be accepted after 4:00 p.m. The Court does not have a drop box for after hours filing.

To contact the Court, call 801-524-3000. For information after hours regarding application deadlines, hearing dates and times, call the Immigration Court's automated system at 1-800-898-7180.

The Salt Lake City Immigration Court adjudicates cases that arise in the state of Utah, and some surrounding areas, as well as cases from all over the United States that are granted a change of venue to Salt Lake City.

Court Staff

  Judges and Courtroom Assignments:

Judge Courtroom
    Hon. David C. Anderson 3
    Hon. Glen R. Baker 2

The Immigration Judges are responsible for conducting formal court proceedings. They act independently in their decision-making capacity. Their decisions are administratively final, unless appealed or certified to the Board of Immigration Appeals. The Salt Lake City Immigration Court's caseload is comprised of both detained and non-detained cases.

In addition to determining whether individuals are admissible (i.e., should be permitted to enter the United States) or deportable (i.e., should be removed from the United States), the Immigration Judges have jurisdiction to consider applications for various forms of relief from removal. These include applications for such relief as asylum, adjustment of status, cancellation of removal and waivers of inadmissibility.

Court Administrator:
    Alec Revelle (Acting)

The Court Administrator is responsible for all Immigration Court matters not directly pertaining to judicial matters and conduct of courtroom hearings. Court Administrator responsibilities include court and case management, facility management, personnel management, all other administrative functions, safety and security, and public affairs.

Court Staff:
Dell Thorbs --- Legal Assistant
Jorge Bustos -- Legal Assistant
Nuvia Recinos – Legal Assistant
Debbie Anderson – Legal Assistant
Tina Zisumbo -- Legal Assistant
Steven Mallery – Legal Assistant
Gabriela Grostic – Interpreter

Visitor Information

Executive Office for Immigration Review
Immigration Court
2975 South Decker Lake Drive, Suite 200
West Valley City, UT 84119
Phone:  801-524-3000

Instructions for First Time Visitors

  • When you arrive you will need to go through a security checkpoint. Please stand in line and proceed through the metal detector one person at a time. Be prepared to open all purses, bags and briefcases for inspection by the security officer.
  • Look for your name and A number on the calendars posted just outside each courtroom door. You may ask the security guard for assistance.
  • No food or drinks, including coffee, are allowed in the courtrooms. Bottled water is permitted. All telephones and pagers must be turned off or completely silenced and may not be used in the courtrooms or in the public waiting area.
  • When you find the right courtroom, open the door, go in and give your name to the court clerk seated at the desk with the computer.
  • Sit down in the courtroom and wait for your name to be called.

Notice to All Visitors

  • All telephones and pagers must be turned off or completely silenced and may not be used in the courtrooms or the public waiting area.
  • No food and no drinks, including coffee, are allowed in the courtrooms. Bottled water is permitted.
  • Due to Fire Marshall and court security requirements regarding the Immigration Court Waiting Area, there is a restriction placed upon the number of people that can be allowed to remain in the Waiting Area.
  • No more than 35 people, standing or seated, will be allowed to remain in the Immigration Court Waiting Area at any time.
  • To facilitate maintaining order in the Waiting Area and efficiency in the flow of traffic in and out of the Courtroom, Respondents are asked leave the Courtroom when their case is finished being heard.
  • Children may not be left unattended in the Waiting Area. Court staff are not responsible for the care of children in the Courtroom or the Waiting Area.
  • The Immigration Court security guard is tasked to monitor and implement the provisions of these guidelines. All visitors must follow the directions of the Immigration Court security guard.
  • Smoking: This building is designated as a No-Smoking building. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the building.

Additional Information


Certain applications, including the Application for Political Asylum (form I-589), the Application for Adjustment of Status (I-485), the Application for Suspension of Deportation (form EOIR-40) and the Application for Cancellation of Removal (form EOIR-42A/42B) require complying with the CIS Biometrics and Biographic information instructions.

An attorney from the DHS Chief Counsel’s office will serve the respondent a copy of the instruction sheet concerning biometric/biographic information at the respondent’s immigration hearing when/if the respondent states their intent to file an application for relief.

After complying with the CIS Biometrics and Biographic instructions, return to the Salt Lake City Immigration Court on your scheduled hearing date with all required original applications and supporting documents, properly completed, and the fee notice receipt. Bring the DHS biometrics confirmation as proof that biometrics have been taken.


Where to pay the fee to DHS for applications to be filed with the Salt Lake City Immigration Court:

The Biometrics Instruction Sheet served upon the respondent in Immigration Court by DHS Counsel designates the proper filing method for applications and how to pay fees. These steps must be followed as outlined in the instruction sheet and mailed to the USCIS Texas Service Center:

  • Clear copy of entire application/form
  • Proper application fee or Judge’s order granting fee waiver
  • Mandatory USCIS biometrics fee
  • Copy of form EOIR-28 (Notice of Entry of Attorney or Representative)
  • A copy of the Biometrics Instruction Sheet

Return to the Salt Lake City Immigration Court and submit your original application and fee receipts to the Court as directed by the Immigration Judge. Complete copies must be served on DHS Counsel.

Contacting the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

The Immigration Court is part of the U.S. Department of Justice. It is NOT part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or any of its agencies. However, the following information is provided for your convenience.

DHS / Office of Chief Counsel:
Office of Chief Counsel
2975 Decker Lake Drive, Stop C
Salt Lake City, UT 84119

DHS / Immigration and Customs Enforcement /Enforcement and Removal Operations: (ICE/ERO):
2975 Decker Lake Drive, Stop A
Salt Lake City, UT 84119

DHS / Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS):
National Customer Service Center: 1-800-375-5283
Forms Request Line: 1-800-870-3676

Common Terms and Definitions


The Master Calendar hearing is a respondent’s opportunity to speak to an immigration judge about his or her case. At the Master Calendar, many respondents are scheduled to appear in court at the same time. The Master Calendar allows the immigration judge to determine certain important facts about each case, and whether a respondent’s case will be set for an Individual Calendar Hearing. For many respondents the Master Calendar hearing is the first time they will appear in the immigration court.

At the Master Calendar, all respondents/applicants not represented by counsel will have their rights explained by the judge, who will provide them with an opportunity to seek counsel/representative at the respondent's / applicant's own expense. For those who are represented, the judge establishes representation for the record by ensuring that the attorney or representative has filed the appropriate notice of appearance form (Form EOIR-28) with the Immigration Court and ensures that the respondent/applicant has been fully advised by counsel of his/her rights.

The judge usually completes simple issue cases at the Master Calendar Hearing. For more complex cases, the judge uses the Master Calendar Hearing to establish whether or not deportability or admissibility of the respondent/applicant is a contested issue. Often deportability or admissibility is established by the respondent's admission of the charges contained in the charging document. Where contested, the party having the burden of proof must prove deportability or admissibility. Once established, the judge explores with the unrepresented respondent/applicant the types of discretionary relief which may be available or has the respondent's/applicant's attorney/representative indicate the relief sought.


The immigration laws provide a variety of forms of potential relief from removal ranging from simple grants of voluntary departure to complex waivers of deportation or removal. All such forms of relief, however, are granted or denied within the Immigration Judge's discretion.

Voluntary Departure

Voluntary departure enables a respondent to leave the country at his/her own expense within a time limit specified by the judge. This form of relief may allow the respondent to reenter the United States after voluntarily departing, if the proper visa for reentry is obtained. This form of relief, while common, is significant, as an order of deportation or removal bars the respondent from reentering the United States for a period of years from the date of removal, unless granted a waiver by the U.S. Government.


Another form of relief is a request for asylum. To be granted asylum, the respondent/applicant must prove he/she has a well-founded fear of persecution because of race, religion, nationality, political opinions, or membership in a particular social group if returned to his/her country of origin and he/she is not statutorily barred from such relief.

Suspension of Deportation/Cancellation of Removal

A respondent who has been living illegally in the United States for seven years or more may ask for relief known as suspension of deportation. For cancellation of removal, a respondent must have lived in the United States for ten years. For either relief to be granted, the respondent must prove the required period of continuous physical presence in the United States, good moral character, and extreme hardship (deportation) or exceptional and extremely unusual (removal) hardship if returned to the country of origin.

Adjustment of Status

Another type of relief is adjustment of status for a respondent who is deportable but is eligible for lawful permanent resident status based on a number of factors including marriage to a U.S. citizen and waivers of criminal convictions as a basis for deportability.


After determining the type of relief a respondent/applicant is seeking, the judge sets a date for the respondent/applicant to file the appropriate application for relief. The judge then schedules the case for an Individual Calendar Hearing on the merits of the application. The time required for the hearing is set by the judge after consulting both the government attorney and the respondent/applicant or his/her attorney.

Frequently, failure to file an application on time results in the Immigration Judge determining that a respondent has abandoned the intention to apply for relief, and the Immigration Judge may issue an order of deportation or removal.

The length of the Individual Calendar hearing ranges from less than an hour to an entire day or more based on the complexity of the issues in the case and the number of witnesses called. At the Individual Calendar Hearing, the judge hears testimony from the respondent/applicant, from witnesses for either party, and he hears cross-examination. The Immigration Court provides an interpreter for a non-English speaking respondent/applicant or witness. Generally, the judge renders an oral decision in the case on the record at the conclusion of testimony and cross-examination. The decision includes a finding of facts, the establishment of deportability, excludability, or removability, a statement addressing the relief sought, the application of existing case law, and the judge's conclusion about the case. After announcing the decision, the judge gives each party an opportunity to waive or reserve appeal. If both parties waive appeal, the judge's order is final. Whether appeal is waived or reserved, a form order ("minute order") summarizing the judge's decision is given to the parties before they leave the court.


When an appeal is filed within the specified time limit (30 days), the Immigration Court assembles and forwards the Record of Proceedings (ROP) to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). The BIA is composed of a Chairman and Members who are appointed by the Attorney General. The BIA reviews Immigration Judges' decisions if appealed by a party to the case.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the court's filing-window hours, and hours of operation?
A: Filings are accepted at the filing window. The filing-window hours are 8:00 a.m. to 12:00p.m. and 12:30p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Immigration Court is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q: What do I do when I arrive at my courtroom?
A: If you are there for your first hearing, which is called a master calendar hearing, you will encounter many other people in that room who are also scheduled for a hearing. Have a seat and wait for the court to call your case.

Q: What if I don't have a lawyer with me?
A: YOU MUST COME TO YOUR HEARING ANYWAY. If this is your first master calendar hearing, and you do not have a lawyer, the Immigration Judge will allow you an opportunity to obtain a lawyer at your own expense. A List of Free Legal Service Providers is available at the Salt Lake City Immigration Court and on this Web site. For those individuals who can not afford a lawyer, this list may assist you in obtaining legal representation.

Q: Do I have to have a lawyer?
A: No. You may elect to proceed without a lawyer if you choose to do so. However, the Department of Homeland Security will have a lawyer present to represent them.

Q: Will there be an interpreter present if I don't speak English?
A: At your first master calendar hearing, a Spanish speaking interpreter will be available to translate for you. If you need an interpreter for another language, the Immigration Judge may use a telephonic interpreter or may have to adjourn your case in order to obtain an interpreter. After your first hearing, the Court will ensure that a court interpreter in your native language is available.

Q: How do I notify the court if I change my address or move out of the state?
A: You must notify the Court of any change of address while under proceedings. Form EOIR-33, which is the form used to notify the court of change of address can be obtained from the clerk or the Immigration Judge. This form must be submitted within five days from the date of your move.

Q: How do I ask for a change of venue?
A: If you move out of state, you or your legal representative may request a "Change of Venue" from the Immigration Judge. However, until the Immigration Judge grants your request, you are required to appear at all scheduled hearings before the court. You or your legal representative should file a written motion for change of venue as early as possible in advance of the scheduled hearing. You or your legal representative may make inquiries to the court about whether or not the change of venue has been decided.

Q: Are telephonic hearings permitted?
A: Telephonic hearings are allowed based upon an advance written request to the court submitted by your legal representative, who has filed an EOIR-28 (Notice of Appearance) in your case. Should a request for telephonic hearing be denied, the court will advise your legal representative. For a telephonic hearing, your legal representative must call the court at the appointed time and provide a phone number where the legal representative may be contacted for the telephonic hearing. You should be with your legal representative for the telephonic hearing. Voice mail is not appropriate for a contact number. Please note that Utah is in the Mountain Time Zone.

Q: Can I fax motions and applications to the court?
A: No, facsimile filings are not available.

Q: What will happen at my hearing?
A: Whether you proceed on your own or with a legal representative, the Immigration Judge will advise you of your rights. You will have an opportunity to obtain a legal representative at no expense to the government; to make an appeal; to present evidence; to testify and have witnesses testify; to examine and object to the government's evidence; to cross examine witnesses presented by the government. You will have an opportunity to plead to the allegations and all charges. If removability is not conceded, the Immigration Judge will conduct a hearing to determine the issue of removability. If removability is established, the Immigration Judge will advise you of any potential relief and allow you the opportunity to submit the appropriate applications for such relief.

Q: What will happen at the conclusion of my individual hearing?
A: The Immigration Judge will enter a decision in your case which may be oral or written. If oral, it will be presented at the conclusion of your hearing. If written, it will be sent to you in the mail. Either way, the decision will contain the Immigration Judge's findings of facts, conclusions of law, and any reasons for granting or denying relief. You will have the opportunity to appeal this decision if you so choose. If you wish to appeal, Form EOIR 26 (Notice of Appeal) should be filed within 30 days with the Board of Immigration Appeals.

Q: What will happen if I do not come to my hearing?
A: You will be ordered removed and deported in your absence if you do not appear when you had notice of the hearing and the DHS can prove the charges against you. You can request that the Judge reopen your case by filing a motion to reopen. The motion to reopen must state in detail the reasons for your failure to appear and can be supported with documents. You must submit with the motion evidence that you paid the proper fee for the motion, or a request that the fee be waived. If you received notice of your hearing, a motion to reopen must be filed within 180 days after the date of the removal order and must demonstrate exceptional circumstances which caused your failure to appear. Exceptional circumstances are circumstances beyond your control, such as your own serious illness or the death of an immediate relative. If you did not receive proper notice of the hearing or were in federal or state custody, a motion to reopen can be filed at any time.

Q: How do I make an appeal?
A: The Notice of Appeal (Form EOIR 26) must be written in English and received by the Board of Immigration Appeals at 5107 Leesburg Pike, Suite 2000, Falls Church, Virginia 22041 within 30 days of the Immigration Judge's decision you are appealing.

Q: What will happen if I leave the country while my case/appeal is pending?
A: Under most circumstances, if you depart the United States after filing an appeal, but prior to the decision on your appeal, your departure will be deemed a withdrawal of your appeal. Thereafter, the Immigration Judge's decision will become final. If your case is pending before the Immigration Court, you should consult with your legal representative, or if you do not have a legal representative, consult with the Department of Homeland Security before you make a decision regarding whether or not you should depart from the United States.

Q: Will my application require a fee?
A: With the exception of asylum applications, most applications for relief require a fee. Please see the standard fee schedule fee schedule for details at 8 C.F.R. § 103.7. The regulations provide that if you are unable to afford the fee for an application -- cancellation of removal, for example -- you can request a waiver from the Immigration Judge. The procedures for requesting a fee waiver can be found at 8 C.F.R. § 103.7(c).

Q: Where do I pay fees for applications?
A: The Immigration Court does not accept any filing fees associated with applications for relief. All application fees must be paid to the Department of Homeland Security.

Q: Is the Court open during inclement weather?
A: In extremely inclement weather, you should check Salt Lake City TV and radio news outlets. Reports of Salt Lake City Immigration Court closure should be carried on TV: Channel 2, Channel 4, and Channel 5; and on radio: KNRS AM 570, and KSL AM 1160 and KSL FM 102.7

Q: How can I get work authorization or get my work authorization renewed?
A: The Immigration Court does not issue or renew work authorizations. To get or renew your work authorization, you must apply to the Department of Homeland Security.

Q: I lost my lawful permanent residence card. Can the Court replace it?
A: The Immigration Court cannot issue replacement residence cards. To replace a lost lawful permanent residence card, you must apply to the Department of Homeland Security.

Q: Where do I pay a bond/get a refund of a bond?
A: All bond payments or refund requests should be done through the Department of Homeland Security.

Q: How do I go about paying a bond?
A: You can pay the bond at the nearest DHS office.

Q: I do not speak English. Do I need to bring an interpreter?
A: No, the Court will provide an interpreter.

Q: Will the Court accept a fax from me?
A: The Court does not accept faxes.

Q: Can I get copies made at the Court?
A: No, the Court will not provide copies of evidence. Please prepare all documents in advance of your hearing.

Q: Can I obtain information on my family member/friend's case?
A: The court will only release information to the respondent or the respondent's attorney of record. Basic information, such as the next hearing date, is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on our automated phone line at 1-800-898-7180. Note that you must have the case-assigned alien number to obtain information.

Q: Can the respondent request/receive a Bond hearing?
A: Bond hearings are not available to respondents in corrections custody because the Immigration Court does not have the authority to change the terms and conditions of incarceration. If the respondent completes his sentence before his immigration case is completed, and he is taken into DHS custody, he may then request a bond hearing from the Immigration Court having jurisdiction over the place of detention. Note that in many cases criminal convictions may deem a respondent ineligible for release on bond even after completion of the criminal sentence.

Q: Are there any documents that I should bring to my hearing?
A: If your criminal conviction is on appeal, or if you or your parents are citizens of the United States, bring evidence of this. At your initial hearing, the judge will advise you of which papers would be beneficial in your case and ask for you to bring copies to your next hearing.

Q: What is the proper procedure for sending documents/motions to the court?
A: Originals should be sent to the court and a copy to the D.H.S. District Counsel's Office. You must include a Certificate of Service indicating to whom you sent the copies, when you did so, and by what means they were sent. All correspondence should have the A# (Alien Number) written on it.

Q: Where do I send my appeal of the Immigration Judge's decision?
A: Send your appeal to:
Board of Immigration Appeals
Clerk's Office
5107 Leesburg Pike, Suite 2000
Falls Church, VA 22041

Q: The respondent doesn't speak/understand English. Will there be an interpreter there to translate?
A: Yes, the court will order an interpreter for the hearing. If the respondent needs an interpreter for someone testifying on their behalf they must write the court at least ten (10) days prior to the hearing stating what language the witness speaks.

Q: Do I need to bring ID?
A: Yes, Photo Identification is required.

Q: What is acceptable proof of identification?
A: A driver's license or non - drivers photo ID, Alien Registration card, or other photo ID issued by a government entity.

Q: Can I request that an attorney be appointed for me? Will you assign an attorney to me since I have no money or have been unable to locate one willing to do the case?
A: Immigration proceedings are civil matters. Persons appearing in immigration court may be represented at no expense to the government. This means that you have the right to be represented at your own expense, but not to have an attorney appointed. You must obtain representation on your own or with the assistance of family or friends. Each immigration court maintains a list of Free Legal Service Providers containing information on organizations willing to represent individuals in immigration proceedings without charge.

Q: Is there any form of public transportation to the court?
A: UTA Bus service is available to the Immigration Court as is a TRAX line.

Q: How do I obtain information/documents that fall under the Freedom of Information Act?
A: You can visit the EOIR FOIA Page that is complete with an electronic reading room, the address at which you request information and much more.

Q: What do I do if I can't remember the date and/or time of my hearing?
A: Please call 1-800-898-7180. This is an automated system that allows you to obtain information about your case.

Q: When I file my documents with the Court, can I leave DHS' copies with you?
A: No. Documents served on the Court must also be served on the DHS Trial Attorneys.

Q: I need to speak to the judge about my case!
A: The Immigration Judges do not speak to individual respondents about their case. The respondent should consult with his/her attorney or write a letter to the judge.

Q: May I use your telephone to call my attorney?
A: No. All visitors to the Court may use the public telephone located in the Admiral’s Galley Food Court.

Courtroom Etiquette

The Immigration Judges in Salt Lake City encourage all those appearing before them to familiarize themselves with the Immigration Court Practice Manual and to be prepared and ready to go forward with the case on the day of the hearing.

Please observe the following rules regarding courtroom decorum and etiquette.

  • All cell phones and pagers must be turned off before entering the courtroom.
  • No recording devices permitted in the courtroom.
  • No food or beverages permitted in the waiting area or courtroom.
  • No Smoking. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the building.
  • No reading of newspapers, novels, magazines or other during court sessions.
  • Gentlemen please remove your hat when entering the courtroom.
  • Children may not be left unattended at any time.
  • Respondents are to leave the Courtroom when their case is finished being heard.
  • No more than 35 people, standing or seated in the Immigration Court Waiting Area.
  • All visitors must follow the directions of the Immigration Court security guard.


Please read our Privacy and Security Notice

Updated November 13, 2015