The information posted on the Department of Justice website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. The Department of Justice does not endorse the organizations or views represented by outside websites and takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over, the accuracy, accessibility, copyright or trademark compliance or legality of the material contained on outside websites.
Guides, Portals & Reference Materials | Treaties | Trade, Commerce & Intellectual Property
Human Rights & International Criminal Law
Guides, Portals, and Reference Materials
- ASIL Guide to Electronic Resources for International Law
Basic strategies to find international legal materials in a variety of subjects.
- Audiovisual Library of International Law
Audio and video of historic materials relating to significant legal instruments under the auspices of the UN and related agencies since 1945; lectures on virtually every subject of international law and a research library.
- AvalonProject: Documents in Law, History & Diplomacy
Historical documents from 4000 BC to the present.
- Electronic Information System for International Law (EISIL)
Primary materials, authoritative web sites and helpful research guides to international law.
- Facts on International Relations and Security Trends (FIRST)
Reference system on international relations and security trends, including conflicts, arms transfers and military expenditure; facts on states and international organizations; economic and social statistics; and chronologies.
- Foreign Affairs Manual and Foreign Affairs Handbooks (State Dept.)
Links to the electronic editions of both publications.
- Foreign & International Law Resources: Annotated Guide to Web Sites Around the World (Harvard Law)
Links to news, research tools, foreign and international legal sources, and international organizations.
- Foreign and International Law Web (Washburn Univ. School of Law)
Links to primary foreign and international legal resources, organized by region and subject.
- Foreign Relations of the United States
Information and original documents from the Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Johnson administrations.
- Global Legal Information Network
Database of official texts of laws, regulations, judicial decisions, and other complementary legal sources.
- Project on International Courts and Tribunals
Excellent reference on the work of international courts and tribunals.
- Library of Congress Country Studies
Description and analysis of historical settings and social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions.
- Guide to Foreign and International Legal Databases (NYU Law)
Over 20 topics including constitutions, environmental law, EU, and international law.
- ICC Legal Tools Project
Electronic library on international criminal law and justice.
- Law Library of Congress Guide to Law Online: International and Multinational
Guides to multinational reference sources, online law reviews, treaties, and the OAS and UN. Excellent starting point for international & foreign research.
- Library of Congress Portals to the World
Links to electronic resources, covering a variety of topics, from countries around the world.
- Avalon Project: Documents in Law, History & Diplomacy
Historical documents from 4000 BC to the present.
- Council of Europe: European Treaties
Database of treaty texts, signatures, reservations, declarations, and explanatory reports.
- Dispatch Magazine (1990-1999)
Major speeches and congressional testimony from the State Department.
- DOJ/OPDAT International Instruments
Broad coverage of a variety of international instruments.
- Income Tax Treaties
Full-text of income tax treaties.
- Multilaterals Project (Tufts University)
Texts of international multilateral conventions and other instruments.
- Senate Legislation: Treaties
Access to information on treaties received from the President, on the Executive Calendar, approved by the Senate, and other recent treaty status actions.
- United Nations Documents (UNODS)
Official document system of the UN covering all types of official documentation, including resolutions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council and the Trusteeship Council.
- United Nations Treaties
Major UN legal publications, including the UN Treaty Series, Monthly Statement of Treaties & International Agreements, and the UN Legislative Series.
Trade, Commerce, and
- European Union Directorate General of Competition
Contact information, annual reports, reports of annual activity and staff and structure information.
European statistical database covering a variety of topics.
- Foreign Trade Information System (OAS)
Full text of trade agreements in force for OAS Member States, policy developments, information on national trade-related legislation, and links to international, regional and national sources of trade policy information.
- Free Trade Area of the Americas
Documents from FTAA negotiations and a trade and tariff database.
- globalEDGE Resource Desk (Michigan State University)
Collection of thousands of international business resources.
- Intellectual Property Offices Directory
Directory, by country, of National and Regional Intellectual Property Offices.
- International Patents (European Patent Office)
Published patent applications (most in PDF format) from over 70 different countries and regions, with information going back to the 1920s.
- Juris International - International Trade Center
Database of legal information on international trade.
- Trade and Related Agreements and Exporters' Guides
Text of active, binding agreements between the United States and its trading partners covering manufactured products and services as well as quick, concise explanations of individual trade agreements.
- World Trade Organization
Includes access to WTO legal texts.
Human Rights and International
Return to: The International and Foreign Legal Research Center
Updated: February 2013