OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL, AUDIT DIVISION ANALYSIS AND SUMMARY OF ACTIONS NECESSARY TO CLOSE REPORT
1. Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive documentation supporting the following: (1) the El Paso and Kansas City task forces are managed by FBI supervisors and administrative corrections were made, (2) the Sacramento and Tampa task forces were closed, and (3) the San Juan Task Force's resources have been redirected to the San Juan Caribbean Initiative. Furthermore, please provide us with documentation identifying the number of special agent workyears devoted to fugitive matters for the Charlotte and Mobile task forces for fiscal year 1996 to date.
2. Resolved. To close this recommendation, please provide us with the final decision regarding the merger of the two task forces.
3. Resolved. To close this recommendation, please provide us with comments and documentation supporting that the Headquarters Safe Streets Unit has completed its first periodic assessment of the national universe of active violent crime warrants.
4. Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive comments and documentation showing that each task force's impact was reviewed using their arrest and locate statistics and NCIC wanted persons data. In addition, please provide us with comments stating whether any task forces were reconfigured based on this analysis.
5. Resolved. The FBI agreed with the recommendation and followed up on the locations we were concerned about. However, the information provided about two locations, Greensboro and Omaha, was inconsistent with information provided during the audit. Please provide us with documentation supporting that these two task forces are combined violent crime/fugitive task forces.
6. Resolved. To close this recommendation, the FBI needs to provide us with an updated schedule for performing on-site reviews, and a copy of the results of a recently completed review.
7. Resolved. The audit team was previously provided with a copy of the January 27, 1997 check list. However, the check list does not specifically address basic case file documentation. In order to close this recommendation, please provide us with a revised check list.
8. Resolved. To close this recommendation, please provide us with documentation showing the results of the FBI's discussions with the USMS. Also, please inform us of the result of the request to the Attorney General.