Report No. 02-15
Office of the Inspector General
OFFICE OF THE INSPECTOR GENERAL, AUDIT DIVISION
ANALYSIS AND SUMMARY OF ACTIONS NECESSARY TO CLOSE THE REPORT
- Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive documentation to support that the Office for Domestic Preparedness (ODP) has: (1) continued its efforts to ensure that states submit applications for funds from prior appropriations and (2) established controls to ensure applications for future funding are being submitted as expeditiously as possible. The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) also acknowledges your efforts in: (1) establishing application deadlines for FY 2002 and future-year funding, and (2) coordinating the provision of follow-up support to territories and states who demonstrate difficulty in meeting the established application deadlines.
- Resolved. The Assistant Attorney General, Office of Justice Programs stated in the response to the draft report that ODP has established an alternative procurement process through agreements with the Defense Logistics Agency and the Marine Corps Systems Command. However, this procurement process was already in place during the audit but was not being used extensively by grantees. This recommendation can be closed when we receive documentation to support that grantees have been informed of and encouraged to use this method, or additional methods that will ensure grantees use available funds as quickly as possible.
- Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive information documenting the Domestic Preparedness Equipment Technical Assistance Program and the support it provides grantees in properly distributing and maintaining specialized equipment, as well as obtaining adequate training to operate it.
- Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive documentation supporting that OJP has remedied the questioned costs of $870,899 for equipment that was unavailable or unusable.
- Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive documentation to support that the ODP has: (1) provided grant funding for exercise initiatives and (2) developed a State and Local Exercise Support Program to ensure grantees maintain their state of readiness.
- Resolved. This recommendation can be closed when we receive documentation to support that the ODP has developed performance standards for evaluating whether grant support is improving grantees' capability to respond to terrorist incidents. The OIG also acknowledges your efforts in: (1) developing a process to update information received from the Three-Year Statewide Domestic Preparedness Strategies from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U.S. territories, and (2) implementing an exercise program designed to enable jurisdictions to test their response capability through practical exercises.