Report No. I-2004-004
APPENDIX I: USMS JUDICIAL SECURITY IMPROVEMENTS
The following security enhancements have been placed into effect post 9/11 by the Judicial Security Division:
Operation Support Team:
- Added one additional Senior Inspector to the Duty Desk.
- Discontinued Level one security for judicial conferences (Levels 2 through 4 in use).
- Conducted two Protective Investigations Training sessions one in FY 2002 and one in FY 2003.
- All federal courthouses have been operating at Security Level 3 or higher since September 11th.
- 105 new District/Circuit Court Security Inspectors have been hired and trained.
- Arrangements were made with the U.S. military to provide emergency evacuation of federal judges from judicial conferences (and potentially other scenarios).
Judicial Protective Services:
- Rapid staffing of 358 Temporary CSO positions nationwide following the traumatic event of September 11th. These positions continue to be programmed for funding.
- Directed the purchase and enhancement of protective vests for all CSOs.
- Developed an on-line Internet application of the CSO Resource Call (budget request), reducing the number of hours and paper associated with calculating CSO staffing resource requirements, both on the district and headquarters levels.
- Post September 11th, 577 CSOs have been trained.
- Coordinated the finalization of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts and the USMS, regarding the staffing of the new 105 District/Circuit Court Security Inspectors, to include a desktop reference center through the intranet to provide field operations guidance and program policy.
Judicial Security Systems:
- Procured 311 state-of-the-art x-ray machines, each including Threat Image Projection software.
- Procured and deployed 175 trace explosive detectors (Itemiser3) at primary courthouses nationwide. Arranged for initial on-site training of U.S. Marshals Service personnel and Court Security Officers (CSO).
- Accelerated by one year the upgrade of all CSO radio equipment to the new national standard for digital, encryption-capable units.
- Designed and procured construction and security equipment installation services for upgrades to courthouse perimeters at 141 sites.