The OIG has created a list of top management and performance challenges in the Department annually since 1998, initially in response to congressional requests but in recent years as part of the Department’s annual Performance and Accountability Report.
The OIG’s list of top challenges for this year, issued in October 2008, is below. We believe that all are critical management and performance issues facing the Department, and thus the challenges are not presented in order of priority. However, it is clear that the top challenge facing the Department is its ongoing response to the threat of terrorism. In addition, many of the other top challenges are closely related to and impact directly on the Department’s counterterrorism efforts.
Top Management and Performance Challenges in the Department of Justice – 2008
- Sharing of Intelligence and Law Enforcement Information
- Information Technology Planning, Implementation, and Security
- Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
- Restoring Confidence in the Department of Justice
- Violent Crime
- Grant Management
- Detention and Incarceration
- Financial Management and Systems
Detailed information about these management and performance challenges can be found online at http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/challenges/index.htm.