You are here
Criminal Resource Manual 1768 Prison Offenses -- Introduction
Chapter 87 of Title 18, United States Code, defines and punishes prison offenses. Specifically, those statutes are as follows:
- 18 U.S.C. § 1791(a)(1)-prohibits providing or attempting to provide any contraband item to an inmate of a prison.
- 18 U.S.C. § 1791(a)(2)-prohibits any inmate of a federal prison from making, possessing, or obtaining any contraband item or attempting to do so.
- 18 U.S.C. § 1791(b)-sets forth penalties commensurate with the dangerousness of the contraband item.
- 18 U.S.C. § 1792-sets forth a penalty of up to ten years imprisonment and/or a fine under Title 18 for inciting, causing or attempting to cause a riot or mutiny at any federal penal, detention, or correctional facility.
- 18 U.S.C. § 1793-sets forth a penalty of up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine under Title 18 for trespassing on a reservation, land, or facility of the Bureau of Prisons.
[cited in USAM 9-69.300]
Updated February 19, 2015