The United States Attorneys’ Manual is currently undergoing maintenance. If you are unable to access specific content, please contact the webmaster.

You are here

2032. Reporting On Foreign Financial Agency Transactions

Under 31 U.S.C. § 5314 (31 C.F.R. § 1010.350), a United States resident or citizen who engages in a transaction with a foreign financial agency, or who has a financial interest in, or signature or other authority over, bank securities or other financial accounts in a foreign country must report certain information about the transaction or the financial interest in the account. This information is reported on Treasury Form TDF 90-22.1, called a "Report on Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts" or FBAR. In addition, a person who is required to file an FBAR must also check the appropriate box on his or her tax return and file IRS Form 4683 with the return.

[updated February 2014] [cited in USAM 9-79.200]

Updated May 21, 2015