Project Safe Neighborhoods is a comprehensive, strategic approach to reducing gun violence in America. Based on our past experience, we know the federal government must do more than just increase its arrest and prosecution numbers to have a truly significant impact on reducing crime in our neighborhoods. Our efforts are now many sided and include the following:
- building effective partnerships with our state and local counterparts;
- enhancing our capacity to obtain and analyze crime and other data that should guide our strategies and afford us the opportunity to measure the impact of our efforts;
- maintaining an edge in the attack on gun violence by providing expansive and comprehensive training for federal, state, and local law enforcement officers and prosecutors;
- conveying the priorities, message and results of our efforts to community members; and
- building a powerful and lasting coalition with our citizens - one that empowers them to be agents of change in their own communities.