Firearm Safety Initiative
BATON ROUGE, LA – United States Attorney Donald J. Cazayoux, Jr. announced today that the United States Attorney’s Office has partnered with the Baton Rouge City Constable’s Office, East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office, Baton Rouge Police Department, Louisiana State Police, East Baton Rouge District Attorney’s Office, Louisiana Association of Sheriffs, Louisiana Association of Chiefs of Police, Louisiana District Attorneys Association, and Louisiana’s City Marshals and City Constables Association to develop an initiative to educate youth on firearm safety and awareness.
United States Attorney Donald J. Cazayoux, Jr. states, “Our state and local partners are confident that this campaign will be successful in helping to reduce the number of tragic firearm accidents involving our youth that occur simply because of the lack of education and understanding of the dangers and the devastating effects of firearms when they are not handled properly.”
The presentations can be conducted at any community event, summer camp or school camp and will focus on safety and awareness issues as well as instructions on what to do if a firearm is found. The basic philosophy taught is that upon encountering a firearm children should Stop, Don’t Touch, Leave the Area, and Tell an Adult. Presentations are conducted by POST/FBI Firearms Instructors and will utilize props and a ballistic shoot tank for a live fire demonstration.
The current community event schedule includes:
• Saturday, June 1, 2013 (10:00 – 4:00) “Obesity for the Birds” BREC Trail Walk/Community Against Drugs and Violence, Inc. (CADAV) Pre-Juneteenth Community Outreach Festival Howell Place Gym, 7716 Howell Boulevard, Baton Rouge
• Saturday, June 8, 2013 (9:00 – 1:00) Shady Grove First Missionary Baptist Church’s Annual Health Fair 16443 Plank Road, Baker
• Saturday, June 15, 2013 (1:00 – 5:00) Juneteenth Celebration Gus Young Park, 4200 Gus Young Avenue, Baton Rouge
• Saturday, June 29, 2013 (1:00 – 5:00) One Voice One Dream One Team 4th Annual Pack the Park SAIA BREC Park, 855 North Donmoor Avenue, Baton Rouge
• Saturday, July 27, 2013 (7:00 – 12:00) Project R.I.D.E., Inc. Back to School Seminar Louisiana State Fairgrounds, 17200 Airline Highway, Baton Rouge
• Saturday, December 7, 2013 (12:00) Community Against Drugs and Violence, Inc. (CADAV) Christmas Festival Scotlandville Elementary School, Pembroke at 75th Avenue, Baton Rouge
For more information or to schedule a presentation, contact Holly Sheets, Victim-Witness Coordinator for the United States Attorney’s Office, at 225-389-0443.