You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Minnesota

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Falcon Heights Felon Sentenced For Using A Firearm To Rob A Dunn Bros Coffee Shop

MINNEAPOLIS – Earlier today in federal court in St. Paul, a 39-year-old Falcon Heights
man was sentenced for using a firearm to commit an armed robbery of a Dunn Bros coffee shop
in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis. United States District Court Judge Richard H. Kyle
sentenced Carlos Maurice Harris to 300 months in prison on one count of possession of a firearm
during and in relation to a crime of violence.

Harris was indicted along with Ronald Harold Moore on December 7, 2010. Harris pleaded
guilty on October 6, 2011. In his plea agreement, Harris admitted that on October 27, 2010, he
and Moore entered the coffee shop with intent to rob it. He also admitted driving his vehicle to
the shop and bounding two employees with rope during the robbery.

According to a law enforcement affidavit filed in the case, Harris and Moore ran from the
shop in opposite directions following the robbery. Law enforcement, responding to the robbery
call, spotted Moore, who initially ignored their orders to stop. Ultimately, however, he
surrendered. Authorities found a nine-millimeter pistol and a bag of cash along the path he had
taken when fleeing. After pursuing and capturing Harris, police also found a sweatshirt and a
pair of gloves near a dumpster along his escape route. The clothing matched clothing that had
been worn by one of the robbers. Both men remain in custody.

Harris and Moore have long criminal histories. Their prior felony convictions include firstdegree
assault and aggravated robbery in Washington County in 1994. Harris also was convicted
of aggravated robbery in Anoka and Dakota counties in 1990 and third-degree burglary in
Dakota County in 2010. Moore was convicted in Ramsey County of second-degree assault in
1983, third-degree criminal sexual conduct in 1986, and drugs-prohibited acts in 1989.

On November 16, 2011, Moore, age, 48, of Inver Grove Heights, was sentenced to 360 months on one count of possession of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence. He
pleaded guilty on June 24, 2011. In his plea agreement, Moore admitted brandishing a ninemillimeter
pistol during the robbery and demanding money from store employees. He further
admitted striking one of the employees in the head with his gun and kicking others.

This case was the result of an investigation by the Minneapolis Police Department and the
U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S.
Attorneys Julie E. Allyn and Steven L. Schleicher.



Updated April 30, 2015