Men Convicted Of Stealing Controlled Substances And Designer Goods From Las Vegas Warehouses And Delivery Drivers
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Following a 10-day jury trial, three men who were breaking into warehouses and delivery vans in the Las Vegas area and stealing controlled substances and designer goods, and had planned to kidnap and rob a delivery driver, were convicted by a federal jury today of conspiracy, robbery, theft, firearm, and other charges, announced Daniel G. Bogden, United States Attorney for the District of Nevada.
“The U.S. Department of Justice will work with our local law enforcement partners and use federal laws to prosecute persons who use guns and violence to commit robberies and thefts in our community,” said U.S. Attorney Bogden. “Not only were these defendants committing thefts and planning a violent robbery, but they were selling stolen controlled substances causing additional harm to the community.”
Julio De Armas Diaz, 54, Alexis Torres Simon, 45, and Alexander Del Valle Garcia, 41, all of Las Vegas, were all convicted of one count of conspiracy to interfere with commerce by robbery, one count of attempted interference with commerce by robbery, one count of possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence, and one count of conspiracy to commit theft from interstate shipment. Additionally, Garcia was convicted of one count of making a false statement to the FBI, Diaz was convicted of one count of making a false statement to the FBI and three counts of theft from interstate shipment, and Simon was convicted of one count of felon in possession of a firearm and three counts of theft from interstate shipment. They are in custody and are scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 18, 2014, by U.S. District Judge Jennifer A. Dorsey.
According to the court records and evidence introduced at trial, beginning no later than about October 2012 and continuing to April 8, 2013, Diaz and Simon broke into warehouses, storage facilities, and delivery vans, and stole designer handbags and controlled substances and sold the goods for their own financial gain. The defendants broke into warehouses by cutting through warehouse doors, and broke into delivery vans and other vehicles that had been left unsupervised in commercial parking lots. Between April 4 and April 8, 2013, Diaz, Simon and Garcia conspired to kidnap and rob a delivery van driver with a firearm in order to obtain control and possession of the van containing controlled substances. On April 8, Garcia falsely told FBI agents that he was driving a friend to apply for a job the morning of his arrest and that gloves and duct tape found in the car he was driving belonged to the registered owner of the vehicle. On April 8, Diaz falsely told the FBI that he had no knowledge of a Beretta 9mm firearm recovered that day from the trunk of his vehicle, when he knew that the firearm had been placed in the trunk to be used that day in the planned robbery and theft of the van driver.
The defendants face up to 20 years in prison on each of the two robbery charges, up to five years in prison on the conspiracy to commit theft charge, and five years minimum mandatory, which must be served consecutively, on the firearm charge. Garcia and Diaz also face up to five years in prison for making a false statement to law enforcement. Diaz and Simon also face up to 15 years on each theft from interstate shipment charge, and Simon also faces up to 10 years in prison on the felon in possession charge. Each defendant also faces fines of up to $250,000 on each count.
This case was investigated by the FBI and the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christina M. Brown and Daniel R. Schiess.