Office of the United States Attorney, Ann Birmingham Scheel
District of Arizona
May 9, 2012
TEN ARRESTED ON FEDERAL CHARGES AFTER BOOTLEGGING AND DRUG ROUNDUP ON NAVAJO NATION
Flagstaff, Ariz. - On May 8, 2012, 10 individuals from the Navajo Nation, predominantly from the Chinle area, appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark E. Aspey in federal court in Flagstaff on bootlegging and drug charges. The suspects were arrested late last week following investigations that lasted approximately six months.
While in court on May 8, 2012, the following seven individuals entered plea agreements on the following charges:
Dispensing intoxicating liquor in Indian Country
- Oscar Wheeler, 47, of Round Rock, Ariz.;
- Vernon Yazzie, 19, of Chinle, Ariz.;
- Anderson Jumbo, 58, of Manyfarms, Ariz.;
- Stella Jumbo, 55, of Manyfarms, Ariz.; and
- Anthony Tully Brown, 26, of Chinle, Ariz.
Possessing intoxicating liquor in Indian Country
- Emerson Haudley, 40, of Chinle, Ariz.; and
- Sherry Ella Segay Haudley, 25, of Chinle, Ariz.
In addition, the following individuals were charged by criminal complaint:
Craigg Descheenie, 25, of Rock Point, Ariz.
- Dispensing intoxicating liquor in Indian Country;
- Unlawful possession and distribution of marijuana;
Chadney James, 19, of Chinle, Ariz.
- Unlawful possession and distribution of methamphetamine; and
Jonathan Catron, 40, of Tuba City, Ariz.
- Unlawful possession and possession with intent to deliver methamphetamine;
- Possession of intoxicating liquor in Indian Country.
A criminal complaint is simply the method by which a person is charged with criminal activity and raises no inference of guilt. An individual is presumed innocent until competent evidence is presented to a jury that establishes guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
The investigations leading to the roundup were conducted by the Navajo Police Drug and Gang Enforcement Unit and Criminal Investigators in the Chinle and Tuba City areas, who were assisted by FBI agents out of Gallup, N.M. and Flagstaff, Ariz. In addition, deputies from the Apache County Sheriff’s Office assisted in making arrests during the roundup. The prosecution is being handled by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Arizona, Flagstaff.
CASE NUMBERS: 3:12mj4116 through 3:12mj4124
RELEASE NUMBER: 2012-116(Chinle_Bootlegging)
# # #
For more information on the U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Arizona, visit http://www.justice.gov/usao/az