Skip Navigation
    USAO Home Page
    DOJ Seal


    United States Attorney's Office
    Central District of California

    Thom Mrozek
    Public Affairs Officer

    (213) 894-6947
    thom.mrozek@usdoj.gov



    Return to the 2009 Press Release Index
    Release No. 09-132

    November 10, 2009

    PEDOPHILE PREVIOUSLY CONVICTED OF MOLESTING TWO DAUGHTERS SENTENCED TO 17½ YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON IN ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT OF NIECE IN THE PHILIPPINES

    LOS ANGELES – An Orange County man with a history of child molestation going back nearly 50 years has been sentenced to 210 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to attempting to sexually assault another family member in the Philippines.

    Arthur Leroy Shoot, 71, who maintains residences in Mission Viejo and in the Philippine province of Iloilo, was sentenced yesterday by United States District Judge S. James Otero.

    In April, Shoot pleaded guilty to attempting to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a minor in a foreign place. The case followed Shoot’s arrest on September 3, 2008, when he arrived at Los Angeles International Airport after a trip to the Philippines. Officials with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement examined a camera in Shoot’s luggage and discovered four sexually explicit photos of a young girl. Shoot later told investigators that the photos were of his wife’s niece, who was 7 years old at the time.

    Judge Otero handed down the 17½-year federal prison sentence after noting that three prior child molestation convictions dating back to 1963 had failed to stop Shoot’s conduct. Shoot, who described himself to investigators as a “pedophile,” was previously convicted in state courts of molesting two of his daughters, but he received sentences of only one year and 18 months for assaulting them, one of whom was abused for more than a decade. Shoot’s first conviction dates back to 1963, when he was convicted of assaulting a girl that he met at a church. During the latest investigation, a third daughter told investigators that she was molested for years, although no criminal charges ever resulted from those attacks.

    The case against Shoot is the result of an investigation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

    #####

    Release No. 09-132
    Return to the 2009 Press Release Index