Department of Justice Logo

United States Attorney's Office District of Connecticut
Press Release

June 8, 2011


David B. Fein, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that FREDERICK B. ZACHS, 78, of West Hartford, waived his right to indictment and pleaded guilty today before United States Magistrate Judge Joan Margolis in New Haven to harboring a fugitive, namely his son, Adam Zachs.

“For more than 20 years, this defendant helped a convicted killer escape justice,” stated U.S. Attorney Fein.  “By doing so, he contributed to the suffering of the victim’s family and loved ones.  I want to commend the U.S. Marshals Service and the West Hartford Police for their dedication and persistence throughout this long-term investigation.  Their efforts show the resolve of law enforcement and show that the engine of justice never stops turning.”

According to court documents and statements made in court, on August 26, 1988, Adam Zachs was convicted of first degree murder following a jury trial in Hartford Superior Court.  On October 13, 1988, he was sentenced to 60 years of imprisonment but was allowed to remain free on a $250,000 appeal bond.  When Adam Zachs failed to appear for a court hearing in June 1989, a federal warrant charging him with unlawful flight to avoid confinement was issued.  On February 2, 2011, Adam Zachs was apprehended in Leon Guanajuato, Mexico, and is currently facing extradition.

In pleading guilty today, FREDERICK ZACHS admitted that, in June 1989, he assisted in Adam Zachs’ flight from justice by arranging for his son to be driven to New York in order to board a flight to Mexico and avoid serving his 60-year sentence.  When federal authorities began questioning Adam Zachs’ family members about their knowledge of his whereabouts and the circumstances of his disappearance, FREDERICK ZACHS falsely denied having any knowledge about his son’s disappearance or current whereabouts.

FREDERICK ZACHS further admitted in court today that, over the years, he sent money to his son through at least two intermediaries.  ZACHS also stayed in touch with his son by using an intermediary in Brooklyn, New York, to receive and send letters, and by using prepaid calling cards to call from payphones in Arizona and New Jersey between February 2002 and September 2005.

FREDERICK ZACHS is scheduled to be sentenced by United States District Judge Janet Bond Arterton on August 26, 2011, at which time ZACHS faces a maximum term of imprisonment of five years and a fine of up to $250,000.

This matter was investigated by the United States Marshals Service and the West Hartford Police Department.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Michael J. Gustafson.




Tom Carson
(203) 821-3722





Home Privacy Policy Legal Policies and DisclaimersUSAO HomepageDepartment of JusticeUSA.govProject Safe NeighborhoodsPSN