Sample IndictmentEquity Skimming, 18 U.S.C. §
(Sometimes the petitions are filed on behalf of the homeowner,
delaying the collection efforts while the skim occurs. Sometimes the
petition is filed by the petition mill/shell agency which is purportedly
saving the home.)|
- From on or about _________ to on or about ________, in the
________ District of ______, JOHN DOE,
defendant herein, devised a scheme and artifice to defraud American Bank and
Richard Roe of money.
- It was part of the scheme that defendant JOHN DOE, upon learning
that American Bank was in the process of foreclosing on the home of Richard
Roe, contacted Richard Roe and falsely claimed that he could refinance the
mortgage with American Bank through government block grants that were
- It was further part of the scheme that defendant JOHN DOE convinced
Richard Roe to deed his property at 123 Home Street to JOHN DOE doing
business as "Homeowners Protective Society" and to begin making his mortgage
payments to said JOHN DOE.
- It was further part of the scheme that following the execution of
the quit claim deed by Richard Roe, defendant JOHN DOE filed bankruptcy on
behalf of Richard Roe and did not disclose the transfer by quit claim deed,
thus stopping and delaying collection and foreclosure efforts by American
- It was further part of the scheme that defendant JOHN DOE continued
to collect money from Richard Roe which would not be applied to the
mortgage, but would be converted to the personal use of JOHN DOE.
- On or about ________, Defendant JOHN DOE for the purpose of
executing the scheme and artifice to defraud, caused a petition under title
11 to be filed on behalf of Richard Roe listing as creditor American Bank
and as an asset the residence at 123 Home Street.
All in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 157.
[cited in USAM 9-41.001]