FEDS CONTINUE PURSUING, PROSECUTING SEX OFFENDERS
WHO DO NOT REGISTER WHEN SETTLING IN A COMMUNITY
October 20, 2011
ATLANTA, GA- United States Attorney Sally Quillian Yates announced two separate criminal cases in federal court this week involving convicted sex offenders who violated federal law when they did not register upon entering a community.
Ms. Yates said about such sex offender cases, “The federal and state laws requiring sex offenders to register when entering a new community are designed to notify the community of the presence of the offender. These laws will be vigorously enforced in this district. These offenders’ rapes and molestations are not erased from the books, or from the memories of their victims, simply because they have served time in prison. Our citizens have a right to know when a convicted sex offender is moving into their neighborhood.”
United States Marshal Beverly Harvard said of the cases, “For a registered sex offender, registering where you live upon your release from prison may not seem important. But it is important, it is a requirement and compliance is absolutely necessary whether the offender wants to or not. Failure to do so could land you right back in prison.”
- DALE ALAN BECKER, 58, of Atlanta, Georgia, pleaded guilty today in federal court in Atlanta to failing to register as a sex offender in Georgia. BECKER is a registered sex offender from Texas, who was convicted in that state in 1990 for molesting a young girl. In early 2000, BECKER, while on release in Dallas, Texas, following his child sex conviction, removed his electronic monitoring device and fled the state. BECKER wandered throughout the United States for the next decade, taking up residence in no fewer than 14 different states, all while using his brother's name and identity to evade authorities. He was finally captured earlier this year by the U.S. Marshals when he was found working and living at a facility for the treatment of addicts. BECKER will be sentenced on January 4, 2012, before United States District Judge J. Owen Forrester.
- WILLIAM EDWARD SENEY, IV, 32, of Dahlonega, Georgia, pleaded guilty on Monday in federal court in Atlanta, to a charge of failing to register as a sex offender. In July 2006, SENEY pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated child molestation in Rockdale County, Georgia. In February 2008, he was arrested for failure to register as a sex offender in Newton County, an offense to which he pleaded guilty in July 2008. In 2010, SENEY relocated to Barrow County, where he completed forms in which he acknowledged his obligation to register as a sex offender, including his obligation to notify Barrow County authorities of any change of residence and to notify the jurisdiction where he relocates. In January 2011, SENEY moved to North Carolina. In mid-May 2011, he returned to Georgia and resided in Dahlonega where he remained until mid-June, 2011. He did not inform any Georgia authority that he relocated there, nor did he register in North Carolina while he lived there. SENEY will be sentenced on December 20, 2011, at 9:30 a.m. before United States District Court Judge William S. Duffey, Jr.
These cases are investigated by the United States Marshals Service, with assistance from state and local police departments.
Assistant United States Attorney Robert McBurney prosecuted the BECKER case and Assistant United States Attorney Jill Steinberg prosecuted the SENEY case.
For further information please contact Sally Q. Yates, United States Attorney, or Charysse L. Alexander, Executive Assistant United States Attorney, through Patrick Crosby, Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Attorney's Office, at (404) 581-6016. The Internet address for the HomePage for the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Georgia is www.justice.gov/usao/gan.