United States Attorney David Capp
Northern District of Indiana
5400 Federal Plaza, Suite 1500
Hammond, Indiana 46320
Hammond South Bend Fort
Hammond South Bend Fort Wayne
www.usdoj.gov/usao/inn/ CELL: (219) 314-9993
IMPERIAL GANGSTER GANG MEMBER CHARGED WITH MURDER
Hammond, Indiana - United States Attorney David Capp announced that Raymond Campos, a member of the Imperial Gangster street gang, pled guilty today in US District Court to racketeering conspiracy. Campos admitted to being a member of the Imperial Gangsters and participating in the operation of that criminal enterprise through shootings and homicides. Campos also agreed to cooperate with the government in its ongoing investigation into criminal gangs.
In addition to his plea of guilty to the RICO conspiracy, Campos also pled guilty to murder in aid of racketeering activity that was charged in a separate Information. Campos admitted to the murder of Steven Rodriguez in East Chicago on February 9, 2002. Rodriguez was 14 years of age at the time of his death.
The Rodriguez homicide is the 20th previously uncharged homicide that the United States Attorney’s Office has charged in its ongoing efforts against organized street gangs, particularly the Imperial Gangsters and Latin Kings.
United States Attorney David Capp stated, “It does not matter how long ago some of these homicides may have occurred. We are actively investigating any number of cold homicides. When the evidence warrants, we will seek indictments. It is our intention to keep the pressure on these organized street gangs and hold them accountable for their criminal acts, regardless of when they occurred.”
There are 20 previously uncharged homicides being dealt with in federal court. Those attributed to members of the Imperial Gangster street gang are:
1. Steven Rodriguez, February 9, 2002 in East Chicago
2. Anuar Paez, July 24, 2004 in East Chicago
3. Guadalupe Trevino, July 24, 2005 in Gary
4. Juan Murillo, Sr., March 22, 2007 in East Chicago
5. Rene Alonzo, September 16, 2007 in East Chicago
6. Luis Ortiz, September 26, 2007 in Hammond
7. Mario Soriano, March 25, 2008 in East Chicago
8. Michael Sessum, June 3, 2008 in East Chicago
9. Miguel Meijias, June 3, 2008 in East Chicago
10. Harris Brown, October 9, 2008 in East Chicago
11. Miguel Colon, February 10, 2010 in East Chicago
12. Jesus Alvarez, March 26, 2010 in East Chicago
13. Latroy Howard, June 10, 2010 in East Chicago
Previously uncharged homicides attributed to members of the Latin Kings street gang are:
14. Jonathan Zimmerman, December 26, 2003 in Hammond
15. Edward Delatorre, November 26, 2006 in Chicago
16. James Walsh, February 25, 2007 in Griffith
17. Gonzalo Diaz, February 25, 2007 in Griffith
18. Jose Cortez, May 25, 2008 in East Chicago
19. Christina Campos, April 22, 2009 in Chicago
Last week, Oscar Cosme and Kiontay Pennington were charged with the previously uncharged murder of Julio Cartenaga on May 16, 2003 in East Chicago.
This case is being investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, the East Chicago Police Department, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with assistance from the Gary Police Department, the Hammond Police Department and the Lake County HIDTA. This case has been assigned to and will be prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney David J. Nozick and Department of Justice Trial Attorney Bruce Hegyi of the Capital Case Unit.
If convicted in court, any specific sentence to be imposed will be determined by the judge after a consideration of federal sentencing statutes and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
The United States Attorney's Office emphasized that an Indictment is merely an allegation and that all persons charged are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.