BOSTON - A Springfield man was convicted in federal court of possession of firearms and ammunition by a convicted felon.
Leslie Evans, 20, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Patti B. Saris to two counts of possession of firearms and ammunition by a convicted felon.
Had the case proceeded to trial the Government’s evidence would have proven that on May 26, 2011, Evans, who was a previously convicted felon, fired a Walther P22, .22 caliber pistol and .22 caliber ammunition. On May 28, 2011, Evans returned to the Shooting Center and used a Smith & Wesson M&P, .45 caliber pistol; a Smith & Wesson M&P, .40 caliber pistol; a Smith & Wesson M&P9C, 9mm pistol; and a variety of ammunition. Later in the day, Springfield Police encountered Evans operating a rented vehicle. Evans attempted to flee, driving at speeds up to 90 miles per hour, but was eventually apprehended. Police recovered shooting targets in the rental car and Evans told the officers, “Ya’ll better watch out, we’re getting better.” Evans then laughed and said, “You see those head shots? Heads don’t wear vests.”
Judge Saris scheduled sentencing for Aug. 10, 2012. Evans faces up to 20 years in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release and a $250,000 fine.
United States Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz; Guy Thomas, Special Agent in Charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Boston Field Division; Mark Mastroianni, Hampden County District Attorney; and Commissioner William Fitchett of the Springfield Police Department made the announcement today. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven H. Breslow of Ortiz’s Springfield Office.
Receive information regarding those charged in the Boston Marathon bombing cases.
Giving Back to the Community through a variety of venues & initiatives.
Making sure that victims of federal crimes are treated with compassion, fairness and respect.
Stay Connected: Visit us on Twitter