FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT
AUSA VICKIE E. LEDUC or
MARCIA MURPHY at 410-209-4885
November 15, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BALTIMORE JEWELRY STORE ROBBER EXILED TO OVER 13 YEARS IN PRISON
Baltimore, Maryland - U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake sentenced Deontaye Harvey, age 21, of Baltimore, today to 162 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release for the armed robberies of two jewelry stores. Judge Blake also entered an order that Harvey pay restitution of $33,255 to Edward Arthur Jewelers and $7,950 to Elite Gold & Diamonds.
The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Stephen E. Vogt of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Commissioner Anthony W. Batts of the Baltimore Police Department; Howard County Police Chief William McMahon; Baltimore City State’s Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein; and Howard County State’s Attorney Dario Broccolino.
According to his plea agreement, on September 19, 2010, Harvey and another unidentified man walked into Elite Gold & Diamonds located in Mondawmin Mall in Baltimore. Harvey took out a gun and told an employee to “give us what you got.” Harvey and his co-conspirator fled with numerous rings and watches worth approximately $10,000.
On March 30, 2011, Harvey and co-defendants Aaron Takea Pratt and Reginald Duane Dargan, Jr., walked into Edward Arthur Jewelers in the Columbia Mall in Columbia, Maryland. Harvey took out his gun and told an employee to empty a jewelry case containing Rolex watches. Harvey told the employee to hurry up or he would shoot him in the foot. The employee emptied the men’s watch case into a bag and the defendants fled with 34 men’s Rolex watches worth approximately $275,000. Pratt also brandished a gun and threatened a store employee. Dargan brandished a long knife during the robbery.
Aaron Takea Pratt, age 22, of Baltimore, previously pleaded guilty to his participation in the March 30, 2011 robbery and was sentenced to 87 months in prison. Reginald Duane Dargan Jr., age 20, of Baltimore, was convicted after trial on November 8, 2012 of the March 30, 2011 robbery and is scheduled to be sentenced on February 8, 2013.
United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the FBI, Baltimore City Police Department; Howard County Police Department; Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office and Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office for their work in this investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorneys Benjamin M. Block and John W. Sippel, who prosecuted the case.