FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT
AUSA VICKIE E. LEDUC or
MARCIA MURPHY at 410-209-4885
June 21, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PREVIOUSLY CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER SENTENCED FOR NEW OFFENSE OF TRANSPORTING A MINOR TO ENGAGE IN SEX
Defendant Failed to Register as a Sex Offender
Baltimore, Maryland - U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz sentenced Luis Vallejo, age 28, a citizen of Mexico living in Newark, Delaware, on Friday, June 18th, to 10 years in prison followed by lifetime supervised release for transporting a minor to engage in sex. Vallejo is a convicted sex offender and was wanted in Delaware for failure to register as a sex offender.
The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge William Winter of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement; Cecil County Sheriff Barry A. Janney, Sr.; and Cecil County State’s Attorney Christopher Eastridge.
“Luis Vallejo is a repeat offender who should have been registered as a sex offender,” said U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein.
“This case reveals the disturbing truth that some adults will go to great lengths to sexually exploit minors,” said Special Agent in Charge William Winters. “The sentencing today shows ICE’s commitment to apprehending and presenting for prosecution cases that victimize our children. ICE will continue to work with federal, state and local agencies to ensure those who try to hurt children are brought to justice”
According to Vallejo’s plea agreement, on December 8, 2008, he picked up a 12 year old girl from a bus stop in Delaware and took her to a hotel in Elkton, Maryland, where he sexually assaulted her. The girl’s mother contacted police after she was notified that the girl was not at school. Officers learned from another student that Vallejo, known by his alias Jesus Guzman,
was renting a room in the house where the girl lived and had picked the girl up from the bus stop. Vallejo dropped the girl off at the bus stop while the police were speaking to her parents. Vallejo was arrested on January 30, 2009, in connection with a traffic stop in New York City.
This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov. Details about Maryland’s program are available at http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/md/Safe-Childhood/index.html.
United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney Bonnie S. Greenberg, who prosecuted the case.