Baltimore Felon Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Escape and Assault on a Federal Officer

Case Demonstrates Federal Commitment to Stop Importation of Illegal Drugs

October 15, 2012

Baltimore, Maryland - U.S. District Judge Marvin J. Garbis sentenced Donta Vaughn, age 36, of Baltimore, Maryland, today to five years in prison followed by three years of supervised release for escape and assault on a federal officer.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; U.S. Marshal for Maryland Johnny Hughes; and Commissioner Anthony W. Batts of the Baltimore Police Department.

According to information presented to the court during Vaughn’s guilty plea, on September 5, 2011, Vaughn escaped from the Baltimore half-way house where he was completing his federal sentence after being convicted of mailing a threatening communication. A warrant for his arrest was issued and the U.S. Marshals Service began looking for Vaughn. On October 4, 2011, law enforcement officers saw Vaughn leave his mother’s residence on N. Fulton Street in Baltimore, enter a silver Acura and drive away, with the woman who owned the vehicle seated in the front passenger seat.

Deputy U.S. Marshals and Baltimore Police officers followed Vaughn and attempted to stop the car at Cold Spring and Reisterstown Roads. One of the Marshals pulled his car in front of the Acura, got out of his car, and stood in front of Vaughn’s vehicle. While attempting to get away Vaughn pulled forward, almost hitting the deputy, who quickly jumped out of the way. Vaughn drove up on a curb and fled, driving erratically and at speeds that reached 80 to 90 miles per hour along Woodland and Park Heights Avenues and Northern Parkway. Vaughn went through red lights and drove into oncoming traffic, striking a passenger vehicle at Belvedere and York Roads. Vaughn eventually became stuck in traffic and the deputies and officers were able to enter the car and turn off the engine. Vaughn physically resisted the Marshals and officers until he was finally subdued with a taser.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the U.S. Marshals Service and Baltimore Police Department for their work in the investigation. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney James G. Warwick, who prosecuted the case.

Return to Top

USAO Homepage
Maryland Exile
Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.


Protect yourself from fraud, and report suspected cases of financial fraud to local law enforcement.

Don't Lose Yourself in a Gang

Talk to your kids about gangs and how to avoid them.

Maryland Human Trafficking Task Force
Stay Connected with Twitter