News

Metro Station Armed Carjacker Pleads Guilty

Carjacking Victim Shot and Seriously Injured

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 3 , 2014

Greenbelt, Maryland – Samuel Damien Bynum, age 23, of Washington, D.C., pleaded guilty today to conspiring to use a gun during a carjacking, using a gun during a carjacking, carjacking and being a felon in possession of a gun and ammunition.

The guilty plea was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Stephen E. Vogt of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Chief Mark A. Magaw of the Prince George=s County Police Department; Prince George=s County State’s Attorney Angela D. Alsobrooks; Chief J. Thomas Manger of the Montgomery County Police Department; Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy; and Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler.

“Through coordinated efforts of local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, a gang of dangerous carjackers has been put out of business,” said U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein.

According to his plea agreement, beginning in January 2011, Bynum conspired with others to commit armed carjackings in Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties. On May 25, 2011, Bynum and co-conspirators drove to the Largo Metro Station in Largo, Maryland in a car they had stolen during a carjacking at the New Carrollton Metro Station a few days earlier. Bynum saw two people park their Camaro in the garage and followed them into the stairwell. Bynum told law enforcement that he blocked the stairwell so that his co-conspirators, who were armed with handguns, could rob the victims. Bynum or a conspirator hit one of the victims with a handgun, but they were unable to steal the victim’s car keys. Bynum and his conspirators fled, but returned a short time later to steal the Camaro after finding the keys to the car during their flight. Upon returning to the area, a co-conspirator gave Bynum one of the handguns and told Bynum to start shooting if the victims did anything. As one of the victims attempted to get into the car, Bynum and his conspirators shot several times at both victims. One of the victims was struck by a bullet and suffered permanent bodily injury requiring significant and ongoing medical attention.

Two alleged co-conspirators have been charged in federal court and another was prosecuted in state court.

Bynum had previously purchased the handgun he used in the carjacking. Bynum had previously been convicted of a felony and was prohibited from possessing a gun and ammunition.

Bynum faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years and a maximum sentence of life in prison. U.S. District Judge Paul W. Grimm scheduled sentencing for May 6, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the FBI, the Prince George’s and Montgomery Counties Police Departments and State’s Attorney’s Offices, and Maryland Attorney General=s Office for their work in the investigation and prosecution. Mr. Rosenstein thanked Assistant United States Attorney Thomas M. Sullivan and Special Assistant United States Attorney Gerald A. A. Collins, a cross designated Maryland Assistant Attorney General assigned to Exile cases, who are prosecuting the case.

Return to Top

USAO Homepage
Maryland Exile
Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.

Stop Fraud.gov

Protect yourself from fraud, and report suspected cases of financial fraud to local law enforcement.

Don't Lose Yourself in a Gang

Talk to your kids about gangs and how to avoid them.

Maryland Human Trafficking Task Force
Stay Connected with Twitter