Fraud and Corruption
The Fraud & Corruption Unit focuses on the types of complex fraud, corruption, and financial crimes that the federal government is uniquely qualified to handle.
Investigation and prosecution of federal, state or local officials who violate the public trust.
Investigation and prosecution of a broad range of federal economic crimes, including:
- mortgage fraud cases involving fraudulent loan applications, property flipping and inflated property assessments.
- health care fraud cases involving fraudulent billing by health care providers
- bank fraud cases including embezzlement and misuse of funds by bank officers and employees and bank customers defrauding banks
- bankruptcy fraud cases involving submission of fraudulent documents in bankruptcy court and concealing assets from the bankruptcy court
- government fraud cases involving fraud in various federal programs, including Social Security, Housing and Urban Development, Small Business Administration
- tax fraud cases involving false income tax returns and failure to file tax returns
- identity theft cases involving use of fraudulent identification information
- investment fraud cases, usually involving mail fraud or interstate wire fraud
- counterfeiting currency violations
- other frauds against businesses or individuals
Civil rights violations
Investigation and prosecution of federal civil rights violations, including allegations of police misconduct and discrimination in housing
To contact the Fraud and Corruption Unit, call 1-800-733-6558, or locally in Kansas City call 816-426-3122.