OFFICE OF THE UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
WESTERN DISTRICT OF MISSOURI
BRADLEY J. SCHLOZMAN
Contact Don Ledford, Public Affairs ● (816) 426-4220 ● 400 East Ninth Street, Room 5510 ● Kansas City, MO 64106
JANUARY 22, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
KC MAN SENTENCED TO 15 YEARS FOR 11 ROBBERIES
OF RESTAURANTS, CONVENIENCE STORES
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Bradley J. Schlozman, United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., man was sentenced in federal court today for a series of robberies of fast food restaurants and convenience stores in the metropolitan area.
Jerry Adams, 44, of Kansas City, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Ortrie D. Smith this morning to 15 years and eight months in federal prison without parole. The court also ordered Adams to pay $5,831 in restitution. Schlozman added that Adams received the maximum sentence under the federal sentencing guidelines as an armed career offender due to five prior felony convictions for armed robbery.
“This defendant was a one-man crime spree,” Schlozman said. “He capped his criminal career with a series of armed robberies in rapid succession, targeting female clerks that he could intimidate and traumatizing scores of young people working at fast food restaurants. This is a dangerous criminal who needs to be incarcerated for the safety of our community.”
On July 5, 2006, Adams pleaded guilty to committing 11 armed robberies in Missouri and Kansas from Jan. 22 through April 10, 2005.
Adams admitted that he robbed the following businesses in Missouri:
* Quiznos sandwich shop at 324 N.E. 72nd St. in Gladstone, Mo., on Jan. 22, 2005, stealing $730 in the robbery.
* Subway sandwich shop at 6507 E. Front St. in Kansas City on Jan. 30, 2005, stealing stole $466 in the robbery.
* Hardee’s restaurant at 6323 E. Independence Ave. in Kansas City on Jan. 30, 2005, stealing $200 in the robbery.
* Phillips Kick’s 66 retail store at 9805 E. 350 Hwy., in Raytown, Mo., on Feb. 20, 2005, stealing $188 in the robbery.
* Taco Bell restaurant at 1040 Armour Road in North Kansas City on Feb. 21, 2005, stealing $100 in the robbery.
* Crown Super Store at 3600 Randolph Road in Randolph, Mo., on March 17, 2005, stealing $1,500 in the robbery.
* Captain D’s restaurant at 19520 E. 40 Highway in Independence, Mo., on March 18, 2005, stealing an undetermined amount of money in the robbery.
* Quiznos sandwich shop at 19321 E. 40 Hwy., in Independence, Mo., on March 20, 2005, stealing $250 in the robbery.
* Quiznos sandwich shop at 1992 N.W. 7 Highway in Blue Springs, Mo., on March 24, 2005, stealing $1,261 in the robbery.
Adams also admitted that he robbed the following businesses in Kansas:
* Baskin Robbins ice cream shop at 5425 Johnson Drive in Mission, Kan., on Jan. 31, 2005, stealing $170 in the robbery.
* Taco Bell restaurant at 12014 Shawnee Mission Parkway in Shawnee, Kan., on April 10, 2005, stealing $850 in the robbery.
This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney K. Michael Warner. It was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Gladstone, Mo., Police Department, the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department, the Independence, Mo., Police Department, the Randolph, Mo., Police Department, and the Blue Springs, Mo., Police Department.
This news release, as well as additional information about the office of the United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, is available on-line at