News and Press Releases

Daniel Curtis Bigman and Patrick Doyle’s Life Sentences Affirme

Monday, April 13, 2009

Bill Mercer, United States Attorney for the District of Montana, announced today that the sentences imposed by Chief District Court Judge Richard F. Cebull in 2006, have been affirmed by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

BIGMAN was sentenced in 2006 in connection with his guilty plea to two counts of kidnaping, four counts of aggravated sexual abuse, and one count of assault with a dangerous weapon in a separate case, to a term of:

Prison: Life for each of the 2 counts of kidnaping and 4 counts of aggravated sexual abuse; and 120 months for the assault with a dangerous weapon count, to run concurrent

  • Special Assessment: $700

DOYLE was sentenced in connection with his guilty plea to two counts of kidnaping and four counts of aggravated sexual abuse to a term of:

Prison: Life for each of the 2 counts of kidnaping and 4 counts of aggravated sexual abuse

  • Special Assessment: $600

In an Offer of Proof filed by the United States, the government stated it would have proved at trial that on January 30, 2005, at around midnight, a car was parked outside a home in Billings where two girls were talking. The two were approached by BIGMAN, DOYLE and two other people, asking for a ride. The two girls agreed, and BIGMAN asked to use the bathroom in the residence before they left. BIGMAN armed himself with knives from the kitchen before they left. The girls gave the four a ride to the area of 8th Avenue and Avenue D, where the other two people got out. BIGMAN asked the girls if they would drive him and Doyle to BIGMAN's mother's residence. The girls agreed, but became concerned as the drive took them farther and farther into the country south of Billings. One of the girls attempted to call 911, but had no cellular phone service; the other girl took a photo of Doyle with her cell phone.

During the period of time the victims were with BIGMAN and Doyle, they were kidnaped and forced to engage in sexual acts against their will.

As they were driving into Lame Deer, one of the victims saw a police car and flagged down the officer by gesturing and waving from the back seat. The officer stopped the car and the girls reported they had been kidnaped and raped at knife point.

The victims were taken to the Lame Deer Emergency Room and BIG MAN was arrested. Doyle was arrested hiding in the garage of his grandmother's residence a short distance from Lame Deer.

The events occurred on both the Crow and Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservations.

U.S. Attorney Mercer said, "We are pleased with the decision in this case. Although the defendants' acts were more egregious than many of the violent crimes handled by our office, the investigation and prosecution of all violent crimes committed on Montana's Indian reservations is a high priority for federal law enforcement. The outcome in this case would not have been possible without the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Indian Affairs."

Because there is no parole in the federal system, the "truth in sentencing" guidelines mandate that BIGMAN will likely serve all of the time imposed by the court. In the federal system, BIGMAN does have the opportunity to earn a sentence reduction for "good behavior." However, this reduction will not exceed 15% of the overall sentence.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Marcia K. Hurd prosecuted this case for the United States.

The investigation was a cooperative effort between the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.



Return to Top

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee

Training and seminars for Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.