News and Press Releases

Clifford Wayne Granbois Pleads Guilty in U.S. Federal Cour

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bill Mercer, United States Attorney for the District of Montana, announced today that during a federal court session in Great Falls on November 23, 2009, before U.S. District Judge Sam E. Haddon, CLIFFORD WAYNE GRANBOIS, a 28-year-old resident of Poplar, pled guilty to assault resulting in serious bodily injury. Sentencing is set for March 8, 2010. He is currently detained.

In an Offer of Proof filed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Carl E. Rostad, the government stated it would have proved at trial the following:

On May 4, 2008, in the early morning hours, a house party was being had at a home on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. A number of those in attendance, including CLIFFORD GRANBOIS (an Indian person), had been drinking at the Buckhorn Bar in Poplar until it closed. It was then that they retired to the residence, about a half of a city block from the Buckhorn, and were joined by several others, including the victim, who had been drinking at another local tavern.

GRANBOIS and the victim, both inebriated, began arguing. The home owner told them to "take it outside." The two went outside and began fighting on the lawn. During the fight, as the victim was gaining the advantage, GRANBOIS bit the victim on the arm. A fellow party-goer broke up the fight and the three returned to the home, accompanied by several who had come out of the house to watch the fight.

Once inside, several people told GRANBOIS to leave. As he left the house, he continued to taunt - "call on" being the expression used by witnesses - the victim. The victim, raising to the bait, followed GRANBOIS outside where GRANBOIS had already gotten into his car. As the victim approached the street, he tripped and fell into the street. GRANBOIS, who had backed up out of the driveway and was now on the street, put his car in gear and "gunned it," accelerating toward the victim. The victim was just getting to his feet when he was struck. The victim went up and over the hood of the Crowne Victoria, leaving blood on the hood. As he tried to get back up again, GRANBOIS put the car in reverse and headed back toward the victim for a second impact. The victim was able to get out of the street to the safety of the porch of the home. Several people started yelling at GRANBOIS, who then put the car once again in drive and left the seen.

A 911 call to law enforcement at 4:41 a.m. advised that : "There is a kid out here that just got ran over. The one that ran him over was Clifford Granbois. He is acting like he wants to back up over him and run him over again. Get some help over here."

The victim was treated for fractures to his knee cap and leg, later receiving surgery to repair the damage. The treating physician would also advise that the victim had, and would have, protracted loss or impairment of function due to the assault, and suffered extreme physical pain as a result of being hit by the Crowne Victoria

GRANBOIS faces possible penalties of 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and 3 years supervised release.

The investigation was conducted by a cooperative effort between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Fort Peck Tribal Investigators.

A copy of the Offer of Proof can be obtained by contacting Sally Frank at (406) 247-4638.



Return to Top

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee

Training and seminars for Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.