News and Press Releases

Doran Flynn Sentenced in U.S. District Cour

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The United States Attorney's Office announced that during a federal court session in Great Falls, on November 29, 2010, before U.S. District Judge U.S. District Judge Sam E. Haddon, DORAN FLYNN, a 30-year-old resident of Wolf Point, appeared for sentencing. FLYNN was sentenced to a term of:

  • Prison: 24 months
  • Special Assessment: $100
  • Restitution: $2,057.50
  • Supervised Release: 3 years

FLYNN was sentenced in connection with her guilty plea to involuntary manslaughter.

In an Offer of Proof filed by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jessica T. Fehr and Ryan M. Archer, the government stated it would have proved at trial the following:

In November of 2008, Andrew "Gator" Robinson and FLYNN had been in an on and off again relationship for approximately nine years. Robinson and FLYNN were living together in a house in Wolf Point, on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation.

On the afternoon of November 26, 2008, Robinson was let out of work early and was given his paycheck. The date was also Robinson and FLYNN's ninth anniversary of "being together." Robinson and FLYNN went to two bars and drank alcohol with friends. Witnesses reported FLYNN and Robinson were having a good time that evening. Robinson began to fall asleep at the last bar the two visited and FLYNN decided to take him home.

FLYNN initially provided various statements about what happened once the couple arrived back at their home in Wolf Point. FLYNN's final statement was that after they arrived home she wanted to go back out once Robinson "passed out." Robinson did not want FLYNN to go back out to drink. FLYNN explained that she believes the couple began fighting because she wanted to leave. FLYNN was trying to use the cordless home phone and was in the couple's bedroom on the floor trying to plug the phone in when Robinson entered the bedroom yelling. Robinson hit the top of the television in the bedroom and knocked the items from the top of the television onto the floor. Included in the items from the top of the television was a knife the couple had used earlier in the week to cover a broken window with plastic. FLYNN reported the knife landed close to her foot and she was "pretty pissed about it." FLYNN reported she picked up the knife, cursed at Robinson, and attempted to leave the room to put the knife back in the kitchen. As FLYNN tried to pass Robinson in the doorway to the bedroom Robinson pulled FLYNN back by her hair. Robinson hit FLYNN. FLYNN hit Robinson back. FLYNN still had the knife in her hand. During the struggle the couple fell back onto the bed and FLYNN stabbed Robinson. FLYNN reported she did not realize she had stabbed Robinson until he stopped moving and she noticed a rip in his shirt and a cut on his chest. FLYNN reported there was no blood coming from the wound.

FLYNN did not have an operational phone so she ran to a neighbor's house and called 911. FLYNN told the 911 operator, "I need an ambulance at 117 E. Fairweather. Yeah please now! My boyfriend beat me up and I hit him back and I think I stabbed his heart or something, I don't know. He can't breathe."

Law enforcement arrived shortly after the 911 call. FLYNN told the first officer at the home that Robinson had been chasing her with a knife and Robinson lost his balance and stabbed himself with the knife. After law enforcement and an ambulance crew arrived, FLYNN and her neighbor went into the living room. The neighbor saw a knife on the couch in the living room. The neighbor described the knife as a large kitchen knife with blood on it a "good five to six inches up the blade." FBI lab tests confirmed the substance on the knife was blood and that there were no retrievable fingerprints on the knife.

Ambulance crews took Robinson to Trinity Hospital in Wolf Point where he was pronounced dead. FLYNN was arrested by tribal authorities and told law enforcement the stabbing of Robinson was "an accident, I did not mean to do it." Robinson never had a weapon of any type during the fight with FLYNN. FLYNN did not intend to stab Robinson. FLYNN was never in fear for her life, nor did she believe she was in danger of suffering serious bodily injury at Robinson's hands.

An autopsy was performed. The forensic pathologist found various blunt force injuries on Robinson, to include abrasions to his face, contusions on his legs and arms, abrasions on his hands and bruises on his scalp. The pathologist timed the blunt force injuries to the same time frame as the stab wound to Robinson's chest. The wound resulted in massive blood loss because the single knife wound pierced Robinson's aortic valve.

Because there is no parole in the federal system, the "truth in sentencing" guidelines mandate that FLYNN will likely serve all of the time imposed by the court. In the federal system, FLYNN does have the opportunity to earn a sentence reduction for "good behavior." However, this reduction will not exceed 15% of the overall sentence.

The investigation was a cooperative effort between the Fort Peck Tribes Criminal Investigation Division and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.



Return to Top

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee

Training and seminars for Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.