News and Press Releases

Robin Roy Martell Found Guilty in U.S. Federal Cour

Friday, October 21, 2011

The United States Attorney's Office announced that on October 19, 2011, in Great Falls, after a federal district court trial before U.S. District Judge Sam E. Haddon, ROBIN ROY MARTELL, a 35-year-old resident of Frazer, was found guilty of assault with the intent to commit murder, assault resulting in serious bodily injury, and assault with a dangerous weapon. Sentencing is set for January 12, 2012. He is currently detained.

At trial, the following evidence and testimony was presented to the jury.

During the evening of August 4, 2010, and into the early morning hours of August 5, 2010, MARTELL, an enrolled member of the Fort Peck Tribes, and a female individual (identified here as "Jane Doe") had been drinking alcohol together at her house in Frazer. MARTELL also huffed gasoline. MARTELL and "Jane Doe" left her house to go to a local bar. On the way, the two got into an argument and MARTELL put "Jane Doe" into a choke hold and strangled her. He finally let her go, said he loved her, and "Jane Doe" went to call the police.

The parties separated briefly, and "Jane Doe" went to another individual's house to wait for the police. A Fort Peck Tribes officer arrived and spoke with "Jane Doe". MARTELL then arrived at the individual's house and "Jane Doe" went next door to another house. MARTELL was put in the back of the patrol car and as the car drove away, MARTELL yelled out the window at "Jane Doe", "suck my cock!" MARTELL was dropped off at MARTELL's counsin's house in Wolf Point by the tribal police. MARTELL told his cousin he was angry at his woman and then left to go back to Frazer.

Meanwhile, an individual walked "Jane Doe" back to her house around 3 a.m. on August 5, 2010, then the individual walked back home. "Jane Doe" continued to drink alcohol and then went to bed. "Jane Doe" woke up to MARTELL punching and hitting her with his fists all over her face and body. MARTELL then struck "Jane Doe" with a metal bar. He hit her in the mouth with the bar and she lost consciousness. When "Jane Doe" awoke she saw MARTELL coming down the hallway towards her. Around 8:00 a.m., she got up, opened the door and ran to her grandmother's house. MARTELL chased "Jane Doe", but she got inside.

Jane Doe's" mother asked her what had happened when she came into the house. "Jane Doe" said MARTELL had beaten her up with a bar. Her mother saw that "Jane Doe" had a huge gash on her head, her teeth were knocked out, and her ear was torn in half. "Jane Doe" told her MARTELL had taken the bar and stabbed her in her private parts.

Two other female individuals also helped "Jane Doe" when she came into the house. "Jane Doe" was covered in blood and wearing a t-shirt and trunks. Her teeth were missing and her left ear had been bitten off. "Jane Doe" told them MARTELL had done this to her, and shoved the pole inside her. "Jane Doe's" teeth were found on the floor of the house she shared with MARTELL.

The police arrived and began administering medical care to "Jane Doe" to stop the bleeding from her head. An officer found MARTELL down the street at another female individual's house. The individual told police that MARTELL had showed up and said he had beaten his woman and shoved the pole up her vagina. While at the house, MARTELL changed his clothes and washed blood off of himself in the bathroom. MARTELL was arrested and placed in the back of the patrol car.

Jane Doe" was brought out of the house on a backboard. MARTELL watched EMT workers place "Jane Doe" in the ambulance. As "Jane Doe" was placed in the ambulance, an officer observed MARTELL smiling and clapping his hands. During the ride to the jail, and after being advised of his Miranda rights, MARTELL said "Jane Doe" should have come out of the house in a body bag and she should be dead. He mentioned he should have made sure of these things.

During the ride to the hospital in the ambulance, "Jane Doe" told the EMT that MARTELL had shoved a rod up her vagina. She said it hurt down there. At the emergency room, "Jane Doe" was treated for a significant right frontal scalp laceration down to the skull, a significant left ear laceration, multiple dental fractures, mouth and facial lacerations, and multiple body contusions. Many of these injuries were sustained from being beaten with a three-foot piece of a one inch diameter pipe. She refused a sexual assault exam. "Jane Doe" was in the hospital for several days.

Jane Doe's" clothes, her tooth, MARTELL's clothes, and the metal pipe were sent to the FBI Lab for analysis. MARTELL's shirt contained blood from himself and "Jane Doe". His shoes were covered in "Jane Doe's" blood. "Jane Doe's" blood and DNA was found on the pipe. Pubic hairs were also found on the pipe, and it was noted the hairs were forcibly removed.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jessica A. Betley prosecuted the case for the United States.

MARTELL faces possible penalties of 30 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years supervised release.

The investigation was a cooperative effort between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Fort Peck Tribes Criminal Investigation Division.



Return to Top

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee

Training and seminars for Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.