News and Press Releases

Edward Ronald Stamper Found Guilty in U.S. Federal Cour

Monday, October 31, 2011

The United States Attorney's Office announced that on October 28, 2011, in Great Falls, after a federal district court trial before U.S. District Judge Sam E. Haddon, EDWARD RONALD STAMPER, a 37-year-old resident of Box Elder and an enrolled member of the Chippewa Cree Tribe of the Rocky Boy's Indian Reservation, was found guilty of sexual abuse. Sentencing is set for March 5, 2012. He is currently detained.

At trial, the following evidence and testimony was presented to the jury.

On January 22, 2011, the victim was dropped off at "X.X.'s" house where the victim and "X.X." drank alcohol and then went to STAMPER's house. The victim drank into the night and fell asleep around 4:30 a.m. on January 23, 2011. "X.X." and the victim left STAMPER's house around 8:00 a.m. and bought more alcohol. They both went back to STAMPER's house that afternoon and continued to drink alcohol.

During the early evening that same day, around 5:00 p.m., "Y.Y." came over to STAMPER's house and found "X.X." and the victim already there. Shortly after "Y.Y." arrived, STAMPER left and came back to his house with "A.A." and "B.B." Everyone at the house continued to drink alcohol, and "Y.Y." said the victim was "out of it drunk." After the victim passed out, "Y.Y." carried her to a back bedroom to sleep. "X.X." had also passed out in another room. "Y.Y.", "A.A." and "B.B." then left the house and cruised around in the car for awhile. They were dropped back off at STAMPER's house after their car got stuck in a snowbank.

When "Y.Y." got back to STAMPER's house he noticed it was very quiet. He saw that his brother, "X.X." was still sleeping and then went to check on the victim. He walked in and found STAMPER on top of the victim having sex with her. The victim was motionless. STAMPER became startled, got up and told "Y.Y." that the victim had said it was okay to have sex with her. The victim began to wake up and was crying. "B.B." stayed with the victim while a fight ensued between STAMPER, "X.X." and "Y.Y." The victim got dressed, as she had been naked from the waist down. When "B.B." escorted the victim up the stairs, STAMPER was at the front door swinging a baseball bat. "B.B.", "Y.Y.", the victim, and "X.X." all left the house and went to find help. Meanwhile, STAMPER also called the police and said he had been beaten up by "Y.Y." and "X.X.

The victim was taken to the hospital for a sexual assault examination. At the hospital she said she had been drinking alcohol all day and had passed out. When she woke up her hands were pinned above her head. She recognized STAMPER's face in front of her, identified by a tear tattoo on his face. The victim could feel STAMPER's penis inside of her and she tried to push him off. However, he used one hand to hold the victim's arms down, and his other hand to hold her body down. The victim stated she did not consent to have sex with STAMPER, nor did she remember STAMPER asking her permission to have sex.

STAMPER was also interviewed. He stated that himself, "X.X." and "Y.Y." and the victim had been drinking alcohol throughout the day on January 23, 2011. "Y.Y." and "X.X." left to get more alcohol when it got dark outside, which left the victim and STAMPER at his house by themselves. STAMPER said they began talking and the victim invited him back to the bedroom. He asked her what for, and she indicated for him to hurry up. STAMPER said he interpreted that as an invitation to have sex. While he had sex with the victim, "Y.Y." and "X.X." walked in on them. STAMP tried to get dressed, but "Y.Y." started to beat him up. STAMPER denied the victim was unconscious prior to having sex with her, as well as when he had sex with her.

A sexual assault kit was completed at the hospital and sent to the FBI Lab. The victim's blood alcohol level was estimated to be .220 at the time of the assault. In addition, STAMPER is identified as the source of DNA found inside her vagina.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jessica A. Betley prosecuted the case for the United States.

STAMPER faces possible penalties of life imprisonment, a $250,000 fine and not less than five years to a life term of supervised release.

The investigation was a cooperative effort between the Rocky Boy's Criminal Investigation Division and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.



Return to Top

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee

Training and seminars for Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.