News and Press Releases

Man Who Provided False Bomb Threat Information To Federal Officials Pleads Guilty

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 9, 2006

Las Vegas, Nev. – A Las Vegas man who intentionally conveyed false and misleading information to federal authorities concerning plans to possibly bomb the United States Embassy in Manila, pleaded guilty today to Conveying False Information, announced Daniel G. Bogden, United States Attorney for the District of Nevada.

APOLINAR AGELIO TIU, age 62, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Roger L. Hunt to the felony offense of one count of Conveying False Information or Hoax. He faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, and is scheduled to be sentenced on October 27, 2006, at 10:30 a.m.

"This case marked the first time that an individual had been charged in the District of Nevada with conveying false information relating to shipping explosive materials and delivering and discharging explosives against a government facility," said U.S. Attorney Bogden. "Passed as part of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, this federal law is providing law enforcement officials with additional tools to investigate possible acts of terrorism."

In pleading guilty, APOLINAR TIU admitted that on about February 6 and February 7, 2006, he called the Department of Homeland Security "TIPS" Line, and advised the representative who answered the telephone that two women were illegally in the United States and involved in terrorism. TIU told the TIPS Line employee that the women worked for a health care business and were placing bomb materials, to include powder and wire, in packages and computers and shipping them to a terrorist organization, Abu Sayyaf, in Mindano, Philippines. TIU also stated that the bombs might be used against the United States Embassy in Manila, Philippines. At all times, TIU knew that the information concerning the explosives and terrorism was false.

MR. TIU is released on a personal recognizance bond pending sentencing.

This case is being investigated by U.S. ICE and the FBI, with the assistance of the Joint Terrorism Task Force. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Kurt P. Schulke.

Return to Top

USAO 
			Homepage
USAO Briefing Room

U.S. Attorney

Daniel G. Bogden

welcomes you to the District of Nevada

Project Safe Neighborhoods

Our nation-wide commitment to reducing gun crime in America.

Victim Witness Assistance

Making sure that victims of federal crimes are treated with compassion, fairness and respect.

Oficinas de los Fiscales de Estados Unidos En Español