Frequently Asked Questions

We do not represent individuals in matters or lawsuits you may wish to bring against another person, company or government agency. We represent the United States of America and its agencies, such as the United States Department of Interior, the United States Department of Agriculture, the United States Department of Defense, etc. The United States Attorney’s Office also represents the United States of America in criminal matters filed against individual or corporate defendants.

Sorry, our office is not permitted to make direct referrals. We suggest that you contact the Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the State Bar of Ohio at (800) 282-6556, which can refer you to an attorney in good standing who handles your particular type of litigation.

Yes, but it is under the United States Attorney General, not under the Ohio Attorney General. For state matters, please call the Ohio Attorney General's Office at (614) 466-4968 or toll free at (800) 282-0515.

Yes, federal law allows us to become involved when the non-custodial parent is in another state. The parent must have failed to pay a past due child support obligation for over a year or one that is greater than $5,000. If you have a problem with unpaid child support, it is best to first contact the Family Support Division of the county District Attorneýs Office where the support order was issued.

Though it is not our function to provide legal advice, we suggest that you contact either the Better Business Bureau at (614) 486-6336 in Columbus or (513) 421-3015 in Cincinnati or (937) 222-5825 in Dayton. These organizations have clearinghouses for such complaints.

If the agency has a local office, you can find its number in the blue pages of the telephone book under United States Government listings. If not, or if you need to contact its Washington, D.C. office, you may call the Federal Information Center toll-free at: 800-688-9889. You may also search online for the agency’s website, at which you will likely find contact telephone numbers.

The U.S. Department of Justice provides free ADA materials, but you must call the ADA Information Hotline to order these materials. The phone number is 800-514-0301 (Voice) or 800-514-0383 (TDD). A list of ADA materials available from the Department of Justice.

You can reach the Federal Public Defender in Columbus at (614) 469-2999, Cincinnati at (513) 929-4834, and in Dayton at (937) 225-7687.

Return to Top

USAO Homepage
Civil Medicare
Community Outreach

Giving Back to the Community through a variety of venues & initatives.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.

Victim Witness Assistance

Making sure that victims of federal crimes are treated with compassion, fairness and respect.

Follow Us on Twitter @SDOHnews
Oficinas de los Fiscales de Estados Unidos En Espaol