News and Press Releases

Maine Man Pleads Guilty to Kidnapping, Assaulting Woman in Allegheny National Forest

March 21, 2012

ERIE, Pa. - A former resident of Anson, Maine, pled guilty in federal court to charges of kidnapping and using and carrying a firearm during a crime of violence, United States Attorney David J. Hickton announced today.

Mike Beaulieu, 36, pled guilty to two counts before United States District Judge Sean J. McLaughlin.

In connection with the guilty plea, the court was advised that on August 3, 2010, a couple was at the Kinzua Point Information Center in the Allegheny National Forest when Beaulieu approached them and ordered them to the ground at gunpoint.  Beaulieu bound the male victim's arms and legs with rope and gagged him with duct tape.  Beaulieu ordered the female victim into his truck whereupon he drove her to a more secluded location in the National Forest.  There, while still holding the victim at gunpoint, Beaulieu ordered her to the ground and raped her.  After the rape, Beaulieu fled the area, and the victim walked through the forest toward traffic noise, flagged down a car, and was discovered by a Pennsylvania State Police Trooper.

The female victim of the kidnapping and rape accurately described Beaulieu's vehicle, his Maine license plate number, and his gun to law enforcement authorities.  Further, the victim gave a detailed physical description of Beaulieu that was sufficient for the creation of a composite sketch to be distributed to law enforcement sources.  Upon viewing this composite sketch, a Maine State Trooper immediately recognized Beaulieu and contacted authorities in Pennsylvania.  The Maine State Police advised that Beaulieu had been reported missing on July 29, 2010, and had made statements about his desire to rape a woman before killing himself. DNA results also confirmed that Beaulieu was the assailant.  Beaulieu's vehicle was located near the St. John river on the Maine/Canadian border. With the assistance of the U.S. Marshal's Service, the Pennsylvania State Police and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Beaulieu was captured in Canada and extradited to the United States for prosecution.

Judge McLaughlin scheduled sentencing for July 26, 2012, at 1:30 p.m.  The law provides for a total maximum sentence of life in prison and a fine of $500,000. Under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, the actual sentence imposed is based upon the seriousness of the offenses and the criminal history, if any, of the defendant.

Assistant United States Attorney Marshall J. Piccinini is prosecuting this case on behalf of the government.

The United States Forest Service - Law Enforcement and Investigations, the Pennsylvania State Police, the Maine State Police, the Fort Kent, Maine Police Department, the U.S. Marshal's Service, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police conducted the investigation that led to the arrest and prosecution of Beaulieu.

Return to Top

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Justice 101
Victim Witness Assistance
Learn about victim notification and rights, witness information, and helpful resources.

Opioid Overdose Reduction Action Plan
Text PGHOD to Tip411 (847411)

Law enforcement agencies and community partners help us reduce crime.

Stop Fraud

Protect yourself from fraud, and report suspected cases of financial fraud to local law enforcement.

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.