Placeholder Banner Image

News Release
U.S. Department of Justice
Peter F. Neronha
United States Attorney
District of Rhode Island

September 26, 2011


Roldy Francois convicted in May of unlawful possession of five firearms,
using fake IDs to purchase firearms, identity theft, providing false information on ATF forms

PROVIDENCE, R.I.  – A Providence man convicted by a federal jury of all charges contained in a 17-count indictment, including firearms and identity theft charges, was sentenced Friday by U.S. District Court Judge William E. Smith to 164 months in federal prison and three years of supervised release, announced U.S. Attorney Peter F. Neronha.

Roldy Francois, 27, was convicted in May 2011 of being a felon in possession of five firearms, including one with an obliterated serial number, which he purchased using the stolen identity of a person from Puerto Rico. The jury also convicted Francois of aggravated identity theft and failing to disclose on ATF forms at the time of the purchases that he was previously convicted of three felonies.

According to court documents and testimony presented at trial, Francois walked into the Providence Police station in February 2010 with an attorney and a female acquaintance to report the theft of two 9mm firearms from his car. Francois falsely identified himself to police as Efrain Baez. A Providence detective recognized Francois from a previous unrelated investigation.

Providence Police and ATF agents traced the purchase of the firearms Francois reported as missing to a Warwick gun dealer. The dealer identified Francois as the person who purchased them, and provided information that Francois used a photo ID, a Florida driver’s license containing the name and personal information of Efrain Colon Baez, to purchase five firearms between October 2009 and February 2010, including the reported stolen 9mm pistols.

In addition, evidence was presented at trial that Francois, previously convicted of a domestic violence felony and two felonies for receiving stolen auto parts, falsely indicated on ATF forms at the time of the each purchase that he had not previously been convicted of a felony.

On March 16, 2010, Francois barricaded himself in an attic in a Providence home for six hours when ATF agents, U.S. Marshals and Providence Police officers attempted to arrest him on a federal warrant. He surrendered after a six hour standoff at which time officers recovered a .45 caliber pistol of the same make and model as had been purchased from the Warwick gun dealer. The serial number had been obliterated. Francois has been detained since his arrest.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Richard W. Rose and Ly T. Chin. The matter was investigated by Providence Police, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the United States Marshals Service, with the assistance of ICE-Homeland Security Investigations (HIS) and the Rhode Island State Police.


Contact: 401-709-5357

USAO Homepage
USAO Briefing Room
Justice 101
USAO In the Community

USAO RI Twitter

Stay Connected: Visit us on Twitter

Federal Child Support Enforcement

judge's gavel

Learn More


How to File a Complaint

Project Safe Childhood

Help us combat the proliferation of sexual exploitation crimes against children.

Project Safe Neighborhoods

Our nation-wide commitment to reducing gun crime in America.

Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee

Training and seminars for Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.