- Is it necessary to complete the travel authorization before I travel?
Yes, federal travel regulations require that a travel authorization be completed and signed prior to travel. The travel authorization is used to obligate funds for your trip.
- May I complete the travel authorization after the course and send it in with the travel voucher?
No, the travel authorization must be received by OLE prior to the beginning of the travel.
- I will be attending courses at the National Advocacy Center (NAC) during consecutive weeks. Rather than flying home on Friday, and returning to the NAC on Sunday, may I stay in Columbia for the weekend?
Yes, you may stay at the NAC over the weekend. If there are no hotel services available at the NAC, you are entitled to full reimbursement for Meals and Incidental Expenses (M&IE) for those days. However, please contact the program manager or program assistant handling your course in advance of your stay so that we can advise the front desk.
- I will be attending courses at the NAC during consecutive weeks. Rather than stay at the NAC for the weekend, I would like to rent a car and visit some relatives/friends in the area. Will OLE reimburse me for the cost of a rental car in lieu of the lodging cost for the weekend?
No, you will not be reimbursed for the rental car expenses because the car is not being used to perform official agency business. If you stay with relatives/friends over the weekend you are not entitled to any reimbursement for lodging, since you could have been housed at the NAC; however, you will be reimbursed for your M&IE.
- I am scheduled to stay at the NAC. I want to bring my spouse with me. May I stay at a hotel and receive reimbursement from OLE for the lodging?
If we have a class scheduled to stay at an overflow hotel during the time of your course, we can usually arrange for your spouse to stay with you. However, if we do not have a contract at an off-site hotel during your stay, you may choose to stay at a hotel, but you will not be reimbursed for lodging, and your M&IE would be reduced for two meals per day as if you were staying at the NAC.
Meals and Incidental Expenses
- I did not eat lunch at the NAC on the day of departure. Am I entitled to claim an extra $12.00 M&IE for the meal that I didn’t eat at the NAC?
No, the M&IE amount for your last day of travel is a fixed amount regardless of whether or not you eat lunch at the NAC.
- We have a Dyncorp contract employee who has been accepted for a course at the NAC. How do we make the travel arrangement for this person?
Contract employees are to make travel arrangements through their company and seek reimbursement from their company. Their company will bill your office for the cost of the training. It is important that you indicate if your nominee is a contract employee on your course nomination documents.
We cannot make payments directly to contract employees.
- When should I file my travel voucher?
Federal travel regulations require that you file your travel voucher within five working days after the end of the course.
- Does my supervisor need to sign my travel voucher?
Yes, we ask that your supervisor sign your voucher. This ensures that he/she is aware of your attendance at the course.