- Is it necessary to complete the travel authorization before I travel?
Yes, federal travel regulations require that a travel authorization be completed and be signed prior to travel. We use the travel authorization to obligate funds for your trip.
- Can I complete the travel authorization after the course and send it in with the travel voucher?
No, the travel authorization must be received by OLE prior to the beginning of the travel.
- I will be attending courses at the NAC during consecutive weeks. Rather than flying home on Friday and returning to the NAC on Sunday can I stay in Columbia for the weekend?
Yes, you can stay at the NAC over the weekend. If there are no services available at the NAC you would be entitled to full M&IE for those days. However, please contact the program manager or program assistant for your course in advance of your stay, so that we can advise the front desk.
- I will be attending courses at the NAC during consecutive weeks. Rather than stay at the NAC for the weekend, I would like to rent a car and visit some relatives/friends in the area. Will OLE reimburse for the cost of a rental car in lieu of the lodging cost for the weekend?
No, the rental car expenses will not be reimbursed because the car is not being used to perform official agency business. If you stayed with relatives/friends over the weekend you would not be entitled to any reimbursement for lodging, since you could have been housed at the NAC. You will receive your Meals & Incidental Expenses.
- I am scheduled to stay at the NAC. I want to bring my spouse with me. Can I stay at a hotel and be reimbursed by OLE for the lodging?
If we have a class that is scheduled to stay at an overflow hotel during the time of your course, we usually can arrange for your spouse to stay with you. However, if we aren’t using any hotels during your stay, you can choose to stay at a hotel, but you will not be reimbursed lodging and your M&IE would be reduced for 2 meals per day as if your were staying at the NAC .
Meals and Miscellaneous Expenses
- I did not eat lunch at the NAC on the day of departure. Am I entitled to claim an extra $12.00 M&IE because I didn’t eat lunch at the NAC?
No. The M&IE for your last day of travel is a fixed amount regardless of whether or not you eat lunch at the NAC.
- We have a Dyncorp contract employee who has be accepted for a course at the NAC. How do we make the travel arrangement for this person?
Contract employees selected for training at OLE courses will make travel arrangements through their company and will be reimbursed through their company. The company will bill your office for the cost of the training. It is important that you indicate if you are nominating a contract employee on your course nomination documents.
We cannot make payments directly to contract employees.
- When should I file my travel voucher?
Federal Travel Regulations require that you file your travel voucher within 5 working days after the end of the course.
- Does my supervisor need to sign my travel voucher?
We ask that your supervisor sign your voucher. This ensures that your supervisor is aware of your attendance at the course.