DOJ SealDepartment of Justice

United States Attorney John L. Ratcliffe
Eastern District of Texas

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                               CONTACT:  DAVILYN WALSTON
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27, 2007                                                                  PHONE: (409) 839-2538
WWW.USDOJ.GOV/USAO/txe                                                                    CELL: (409) 553-9881




BEAUMONT, TX -     United States Attorney John L. Ratcliffe announced today a 47-year-old Port Arthur man has been convicted of federal gun violations in the Eastern District of Texas. 

MARSKA FLOYD MCDANIEL was found guilty by a jury this afternoon following a three-day trial in federal court.  McDaniel was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

            According to information presented in court, federal agent and local police officers executed a federal search warrant at "The Corner Store", a popular convenience store located across from the Carver Terrace Housing Project in Port Arthur, Texas on September 5, 2006.  During the investigation leading to the search warrant, agents determined that McDaniel, who was previously convicted of the offense of Aggravated Robbery with a Deadly Weapon, is the co-owner of this store and lived in the residential part of the store.  The agents located 2 loaded firearms and various other rounds of ammunition throughout the store and residential area.  Because McDaniel is a convicted felon, he is prohibited from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition. 

            The guilty verdict was returned today after a three day trial before Chief United States District Judge Thad Heartfield.  The jury deliberated about 30 minutes before reaching their verdict.

            McDaniel faces up to ten years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000.  A sentencing date has not been set.

            The case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Port Arthur Police Department and was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Michelle S. Englade.


back to top