DOJ SealDepartment of Justice

United States Attorney Rebecca A. Gregory
Eastern District of Texas

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                               CONTACT:  DAVILYN WALSTON
THURSDAY, JANUARY 8, 2009                                           PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
WWW.USDOJ.GOV/USAO/txe                         PHONE: (409) 839-2538 CELL: (409) 553-9881




            TEXARKANA, TX– United States Attorney Rebecca A. Gregory announced today that a 66-year-old Texarkana, Texas man has been sentenced for federal sex offender registry violations in the Eastern District of Texas.

was convicted of failing to register as a sex offender, an Adam Walsh Act violation, and was sentenced today to 21 months in federal prison.  

            The Adam Walsh Act, which is found in 18 United States Code 2250, makes it a crime for a sex offender to travel in interstate commerce, and fail to register as a sex offender in the state where he plans to reside, work, or attend school. 

            According to information presented in court, Lewis was convicted of sexual assault on Sept. 9, 2003, in Miller County, AR.  Lewis was notified by authorities that he was to register as a sex offender.  However, Lewis traveled in interstate commerce from Arkansas to Texas and failed to register as a sex offender with local authorities, in direct violation of the Adam Walsh Act.  Lewis was indicted by a federal grand jury on Aug. 5, 2008.

            This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit

             This case was investigated by the United States Marshals Service and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Denise Simpson.     


back to top