DOJ Seal Department of Justice  
United States Attorney John M. Bales
Eastern District of Texas


THURSDAY, JUNE 3, 2010            PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER             CELL: (409) 553-9881 DIRECT: (409) 981-7902



            BEAUMONT, Texas - A 32-year-old Port Arthur, Texas man has been sentenced to federal prison as a result of Operation Time Machine in the Eastern District of Texas announced U.S. Attorney John M. Bales today.

            Omar Damond Daw pleaded guilty on Dec. 28, 2009 to being a felon in possession of a firearm and was sentenced to 84 months in federal prison today by U.S. District Judge Ron Clark.

            According to information presented in court, on June 16, 2009, law enforcement officers received a tip indicating Daw was in possession of a firearm in a vehicle at the corner of 19th Street and Savannah Avenue in Port Arthur.  After arriving at the location, police found Daw in a Buick and received consent to search the vehicle.  During the search, officers located an SKS rifle under the rear passenger seat of the car.  Further investigation revealed Daw was a convicted felon with prior felony convictions in Jefferson County, Texas for Possession of a Controlled Substance in 1998; Possession of a Controlled Substance in 2002; Delivery of a Controlled Substance in 2002; and Possession of a Controlled Substance in 2007.  As a convicted felon, he is prohibited from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition.  Daw was indicted on Oct. 7, 2009, and charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

            This case was prosecuted as part of Project Safe Neighborhoods' Operation Time Machine program. Operation Time Machine is aimed at reducing gun and gang violence, deterring illegal possession of guns, ammunition and body armor, and improving the safety of residents in Port Arthur, Texas. Participants in the initiative include community members and organizations as well as federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.

            This case was investigated by the ATF and the Port Arthur Police Department and prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Baylor Wortham.


back to top