Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs

June 08, 2011

Wills Point Man Sentenced in Connection With Fraudulent Statement to FAA

TYLER, Texas – A 57-year-old Wills Point, Texas has been sentenced to federal prison for making a false statement in the Eastern District of Texas, announced U.S. Attorney John M. Bales today.

Darryl Glen Reynolds pleaded guilty on June 10, 2010, to making a false statement and was sentenced to five months in federal prison today by U.S. District Judge Michael H. Schneider.  Reynolds was also ordered to pay a $10,000 fine.

                According to information presented in court, on Dec. 28, 2004, Reynolds wrote a letter to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requesting a new airworthiness certificate for a Beechcraft Baron BE-58P aircraft, attaching a copy of the original certificate stating that original certificate had been lost when he knew the original certificate had been surrendered to the FAA by the original owners of the aircraft, the U.S. Forest Service.  Reynolds incorporated and ran a non-profit corporation, Texas Firebirds Volunteer Fire Department (TFVFD), in Van Zandt County, to be used to provide aerial firefighting support.  Reynolds then applied, on behalf of TFVFD, to obtain surplus aircraft through the federal surplus property program.  One of the aircraft was a twin-engine Beechcraft Baron, previously used by the U. S. Forest Service.  The Beechcraft was provided without an airworthiness certificate, which had been surrendered to the FAA because the aircraft had been determined to have reached its useful life.  Reynolds was indicted by a federal grand jury in April 2010 and charged with making a false statement.

               This case was investigated by the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, Dallas Resident Agency; Office of Inspector General, General Services Administration; U. S. Department of Transportation, Office of Inspector General; Federal Aviation Administration, Southwest Region, Dallas Flight Standards District Office and the Special Emphasis Investigative Team; and the Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Rangers.  This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Alan Jackson.




Return to Top