News and Press Releases


June 9, 2011

DALLAS — Oscar Tapia, 30, of Dallas, was sentenced this afternoon by U.S. District Judge Jane J. Boyle to 235 months in federal prison, following his conviction at trial in December 2010 on one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of methamphetamine. The announcement was made today by U.S. Attorney James T. Jacks of the Northern District of Texas.

The government presented evidence at trial that on August 12, 2009, an undercover officer contacted co-defendant Sebastian De La Garza about purchasing two kilograms of methamphetamine. De La Garza had previously negotiated with undercover DEA agents to buy marijuana. During that negotiation, De La Garza mentioned that he had a cousin, co-defendant Rogelio Estrada, who could obtain large quantities of methamphetamine.

A confidential source (CS) then met with De La Garza and Estrada to negotiate the transaction. Estrada showed the CS a sample of the methamphetamine in a restaurant’s parking lot on Walnut Hill Lane in Dallas. De La Garza and the undercover DEA agent agreed to do the final transaction that evening at a motel in Dallas, but De La Garza said his source would only sell one kilogram at a time. Tapia was the source of the methamphetamine.

That evening, law enforcement set up surveillance at the motel and observed Oscar Tapia and Rogelio Estrada arrive at the motel parking lot. Officers observed Tapia adjusting what was later discovered to be a loaded pistol in his waistband. The CS met Tapia and Estrada at the trunk of the car where Estrada opened the trunk and showed the CS one kilogram of methamphetamine. Tapia showed the CS the gun in his waistband. As the CS led Estrada and Tapia toward a room to exchange the kilogram of methamphetamine for $40,000, officers moved in and arrested both men.

Both Estrada and De La Garza pleaded guilty to their roles in the conspiracy and have been sentenced to 108 months and 150 months, respectively.

The case was investigated by the DEA and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary F. Walters prosecuted.

















Return to Top