News and Press Releases


March 25, 2011

DALLAS — Carlos Ortiz, Jr., 49, of Red Oak, Texas, was sentenced this morning by Chief U.S. District Judge Sidney A. Fitzwater to two years in federal prison following his guilty plea in December 2010 to one count of retaliating against a federal official, announced U.S. Attorney James T. Jacks of the Northern District of Texas. Ortiz has been in federal custody since his arrest in late August 2010 on a related charge outlined in a federal criminal complaint.

According to documents filed in the case, since 1988, Ortiz worked as an FBI Special Agent in the Dallas Division. In May 2010, he was placed on leave without pay, pending termination proceedings. He was terminated on August 25, 2010, at the time of his arrest. He has verbally expressed his anger with the Dallas Division Special Agent in Charge, Robert E. Casey, Jr., for terminating his employment. On August 16, 2010, Ortiz retrieved approximately 29 weapons, one AR-15 rifle, one .22 caliber rifle with silencer and two .308 caliber weapons, from a close friend.

From late evening on August 19, 2010, to the early morning hours of August 20, 2010, Ortiz telephoned this long-time, close friend. Because of the nature of the communication, this friend contacted another friend of Ortiz’s, who had also been telephoned by Ortiz during the same time period. This friend then reported Ortiz’s behavior to a Special Agent with the FBI in the early morning hours of August 20.

That afternoon, Ortiz contacted the friend from whom he had received the weapons, and on a recorded call, stated that he wanted a .50 caliber gun. During the conversation the friend asked Ortiz why he didn’t want to meet at the police station to exchange his child with his ex-wife, Ortiz replied, “No, ‘cause that expletive (Casey) told me if I got anywhere near a police department he was gonna do something else, ‘cause God knows what else he’d put on my expletive.” The friend asked if Ortiz was referring to the Dallas Division SAC. Ortiz replied, “Yeah, I’m definitely gonna piss on his grave, I might just put a .308 down his expletive (unintelligible).” During the call, Ortiz expressed anger at losing his job with the FBI, saying “and what do I have for 26 years, one more year away from retirement? Expletive. And an OPR.” Throughout the weekend of August 21-22, Ortiz continued his calls to these two friends and continued to request assistance in acquiring a handgun with a silencer.

On the date of his arrest, during the execution of a federal search warrant at Oritiz’ residence and vehicle, a “signed sworn statement” by Ortiz was found. In this statement Ortiz writes, “. . .Mr. Casey has broken me as a man and human being, with his constant threats and follow through terminating me leaving with no way to sustain my son. Mr. Casey never listed to me and has left me no options.” Additionally, Ortiz wrote, “Finally that if Mr. Casey was not allowed to have so much power unchecked this would have never happened . . .” This “signed sworn statement” was left in Ortiz’ residence in an envelope, which bore the following notation: “DAD TAKE TO THE PRESS.” Included in the firearms seized were .308 caliber firearms, the caliber that Ortiz specified in his threat against the FBI Dallas Division Special Agent in Charge.

The case was investigated by the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Criminal Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney Chad E. Meacham was in charge of the prosecution.





















Return to Top