News and Press Releases

Ellis County Man Sentenced to 84 Months in Federal Prison on Firearms and Drug Convictions

August 16, 2012

Defendant Had a Live Hand Grenade That Was Discovered at his Residence During the Execution of a Search Warrant

DALLAS — Shane Wilson, 32, of Midlothian, Texas, was sentenced this afternoon by U.S. District Judge Jane J. Boyle to a total of 84 months (seven years) in federal prison, following his guilty plea in May 2012 to firearms and drug offenses, announced U.S. Attorney Sarah R. Saldaña of the Northern District of Texas.

Specifically, Wilson pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a controlled substance with the intent to distribute, possession of a firearm during and in relation to a drug trafficking crime and receipt or possession of an unregistered firearm.

Robert Champion, Special Agent in Charge of the Dallas Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said, “This investigation exemplifies ATF’s commitment to combat violent crime in order to keep the streets of north Texas as safe as possible.”

According to documents filed in the case, on March 3, 2011, investigators with the Ellis County Narcotics Task Force and the Midlothian Police Department executed a search warrant at Wilson’s residence on Daisy Road in Midlothian. Law enforcement located a live, military-grade hand grenade, a loaded 12-gauge shotgun and a loaded 22 caliber rifle. They also discovered a digital photograph of a military hand grenade on a laptop computer, and upon further searching, found a bag in the garage’s unfinished attic space containing one M67 fragmentation grenade similar to the one on the laptop photograph, two smoke grenades, two explosive hand grenade training simulators and one explosive artillery simulator. Methamphetamine, marijuana, drug paraphernalia and records of what appeared to be drug transactions were also discovered.

U.S. Attorney Saldaña praised the investigative efforts of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Midlothian Police Department.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Taly Haffar was in charge of the prosecution.




















Return to Top