News and Press Releases

Dallas Man Sentenced to 210 Months in Federal Prison for Downloading Images of Child Pornography from the Internet

August 23, 2012

DALLAS — Marcus Morgan, 37, of Dallas, was sentenced this afternoon by U.S. District Judge Jane J. Boyle to 210 months in federal prison, following his guilty plea in November 2011 to one count of receiving child pornography, announced U.S. Attorney Sarah R. Saldaña of the Northern District of Texas. Morgan has been in custody since his arrest in August 2011 on related charges.

According to documents filed in the case, agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and officers with the Dallas Police Department executed a search warrant at Morgan’s residence on August 10, 2011, that resulted in the identification of well over 600 images of child pornography on his computer and Morgan’s subsequent arrest. Morgan admitted that he used file-sharing software to search for, find and share images of child pornography. He advised agents that they would find thousands of images and videos of child pornography on his hard drive and that some of those images portrayed sadistic and/or masochistic conduct. At his detention hearing, Morgan admitted that he has been “addicted” to child pornography since age 15.

This matter was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice, to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit For more information about internet safety education, please visit and click on the tab "resources."

ICE HSI and the Dallas Police Department were in charge of the investigation. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Lisa Miller.






















Return to Top