Department of Justice Logo and United States Attorney's Office Header

Mar. 5, 2010

(713) 567-9388


(CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas) - Henry L. Simmons, 24, of Corpus Christi, has been convicted of all 13 counts of willfully using a cellular telephone or other instrument of interstate or foreign commerce in making bomb threats to the Corpus Christi Army Depot (CCAD), United States Attorney José Angel Moreno announced today. The jury deliberated for approximately four hours and returned its unanimous verdict following a three-day trial on March 3, 2010. 

Simmons was arrested on Oct. 1, 2009, in Kingsville, Texas, by FBI agents and officers of the Kingsville Police Department following the filing of the criminal complaint charging him with making a threat to damage or destroy a building by means of explosive on or about Sept. 30, 2009. The original indictment, returned Oct. 28, 2009, charged Simmons with one count, but was later superceded on Dec. 23, 2009, when an additional 13 counts of making bomb threats to the CCAD were added. 

Simmons made numerous telephone calls, beginning in July 2009, to various buildings located within the CCAD requesting to speak to his former girlfriend. The defendant, at times, identified himself as Jonathan Glenn, John Randall and at other times as “Henry.” These phone calls increased in number, to the point that personnel of the CCAD had to disconnect some of their telephones in order to conduct their business. These phones calls intensified and on Sept. 30, 2009, and Oct. 1, 2009, the defendant made several telephone calls uttering statements such as “a bomb will detonate in 25 minutes” or “there is a bomb in the L3 trailer” or “there is a bomb in the building, bitch, and it’s about to blow.” Approximately 857 phones calls were made to the CCAD from August 2009 through Oct. 1, 2009. 

One of the bomb threat recordings was presented in court for the jury to hear as wereother recorded conversations between Simmons and CCAD personnel. As a result of the bomb threats, the CCAD responded by conducting numerous evacuations of their employees, resulting in the loss of manpower hours and lost production. 

In custody since his arrest, Simmons will remain in custody pending his sentencing hearing, scheduled for June 11, 2010.  Simmons faces a maximum 10 years in federal prison.  

The case was investigated by the FBI and Naval Criminal Investigative Services and was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Elsa Salinas.


# # #