Department of Justice Logo and United States Attorney's Office Header

June 21, 2011

(713) 567-9388

Mission Man Sentenced to Prison for Attempting to Export Ammunition to Mexico

McALLEN, Texas – A 19-year-old Mission, Texas, man who attempted to export a firearm and more than 10,000 rounds of ammunition into Mexico has been sentenced to prison, United States Attorney José Angel Moreno announced today.

United States District Judge Randy Crane sentenced Felix Reyes today to 37 months in federal prison without parole to be followed by a thee-year term of supervised release. Reyes pleaded guilty in March 2011 to attempted exportation of ammunition and a firearm, items on the United States Munitions list, from the United States to Mexico without a license.  

On Sept. 29, 2010, Reyes attempted to leave the United States through the Anzalduas Port of Entry. In response to routine questioning by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers, Reyes denied exporting firearms or ammunition. Noting that vehicle’s identification number located on the windshield appeared to have been tampered with, CBP officers referred Reyes and the vehicle to secondary for further inspection. During that search, CBP officers discovered wrapped bundles containing a Romarm model WASR-10, 7.62x39mm rifle and 10,041 rounds of assorted calibers of ammunition. During a subsequent investigation by Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agents, Reyes admitted he did not have a license to export the firearm nor the munitions nor had he received permission to do so. He also admitted he was to be paid to cross the vehicle into Mexico and deliver the munitions to another individual. Reyes was arrested and subsequently charged.

In custody without bond since his September 2010 arrest, Reyes will remain in custody pending transfer to a Bureau of Prisons facility to be designated in the near future.

As a convicted felon, Reyes will be prohibited by federal law from purchasing or even possessing firearms or ammunition.

The case was investigated by CBP and HSI. Assistant United States Attorney Steven Schammel prosecuted the case.