Department of Justice Logo and United States Attorney's Office Header
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ANGELA DODGE

June 20, 2013

PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER
(713) 567-9388

Septuagenarian Sent to Prison for Distributing Child Pornography

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Jose Luis Salazar, 70, has been ordered to prison following his conviction of sexual exploitation of minors, commonly known as distribution of child pornography, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced today. Salazar pleaded guilty March 11, 2013.

Today, Senior U.S. District Judge Janis Graham Jack, took into consideration the need to protect the public from a possible pedophile and handed Salazar a sentence of 151 months in federal prison. During Salazar’s statement at sentencing, he said he had never physically hurt anyone and told the court he still had a lot to offer society. Salazar went on to say that he could be useful mentoring children. After hearing his allocution, Judge Jack said that she did not believe Salazar understood the gravity of his crime and that her purpose in sentencing was to keep him away from children. Salazar was further ordered to serve a lifetime term of supervised release following completion of his prison term, during which he will be required to comply with numerous conditions designed to restrict his access to children and the internet. He will also be ordered to register as a sex offender.

On March 3, 2012, an undercover officer with the Corpus Christi Police Department’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force (CCPD-ICAC) downloaded several files of child pornography from a computer connected to the Internet which was traced to Salazar. More child pornography files were later downloaded from Salazar in June and July 2012. A search warrant was executed on Salazar’s Corpus Christi home on Sept. 27, 2012, at which time several electronic storage devices were seized. A computer forensic examination of the seized devices led to the discovery of hundreds of videos and images of child pornography.

Previously released on bond, Salazar was taken into custody following his guilty plea where he will remain pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined in the near future.

Homeland Security Investigations and CCPS-ICAC investigated.

This case, prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Lance Duke, was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the United States Attorneys' Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.usdoj.gov/psc<http://www.usdoj.gov/psc>. For more information about internet safety education, please visitwww.usdoj.gov/psc<http://www.usdoj.gov/psc> and click on the tab "resources."